Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fore - Water obstacle!

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Fore - Water obstacle!

I lack experience with action shots and I have a new camera. (Bad combination ). This man was hitting balls in the air over the Ohio River. Please c&c.

Fore - Water obstacle!

I took this with my 7D, AV, ISO 400. It was about 7pm, rather dreary, overcast day. I probably would have been better off shooting in TV so I could control the shutter speed? I set AV up high enough to not have too much motion blur. Part of the event I am shooting in 2 weeks is a golf tourney, so if there are golfers out there, what shots should I set up for?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Fore - Water obstacle!

Marie

The fact that you've got the ball (it is the ball, yes?) in the picture is excellent. Even if it's not, it looks like it. And that, in my opinion, makes the image.

I just wonder about your angle in relation to the golfer. You are off to the side of him and, as a result, he is squeezed into the very left hand side of the frame. What would have happened if you had taken a couple of steps to the left and been a bit more directly behind him? I accept that it might not made so good an image of him in action.

Other than that, you've nailed it pretty well.

As fro beign at the tournament. I'm sure you know the basics; e.g. do not press the shutter when the golfer is addressing the ball or in his/her swing, etc.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Donald, thank you so much for taking the time to share your wisdom. I do not know golf etiquette, so please do tell?

Truthfully, this was the first time I ever took a picture of a person swinging a golf club. . I was excited to have gotten the ball in flight also. Since I shot this fellow as he was hitting the ball in his swing, I committed a no-no? There is a setting on the 7D for silent shutter. I should use it?

It is also a new lens for me. I got the 70-200 2.8 L. I love it.

Please humor me in my questions. I got a late start and I have much to cram into this 55 (soon to be 56) year old head.

Marie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Marie

Hopefully, others more experienced in either golf, or sports photography, or both, will come in to comment. But all I do know is what I wrote above.

If you've ever watched golf on TV and one of the pros is disturbed by the click of a shutter as they're about to swing into action - I'd say you don't want to be on the receiving end of the look that they'll give you. It is, as you say, an absolute no-no. I wouldn't even risk it with the silent shutter thing on your camera.

I think you're fine with what you did - once the swing is through the ball, then it's okay.

But the other thing to think about is not just the close-up of the golfer off the tee. Get settings. Wider stuff that shows the golf course, perhaps with the golfers putting on the green. People in bunkers (sand traps). They tell the story as well.

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

Good capture Marie. The gear you have will be very good for photographing golf. Try standing to a position where the golfer is facing you as he addresses the ball or a few paces forward of that. Pictures at the end of the swing with the golfer looking down the fairway after his shot would be good. Also try for some trouble shots (i.e. golfer hitting out of trees, bunkers,etc.). Capturing golfers' reactions to making/missing putts can be dramatic and sometimes amusing. Hope this helps. Enjoy your day.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Marie,

Being a avid golfer, ( 2 times per week) you did a great job of capturing the shot. The ball speed is about 140-150 mph. Please note that alot of the pro golf events do not allow you take a camera into the venue at all. Now most are not allowing phones. But there is no reason not go to the local course for a day. Once the ball has left the club head it's game on for pictures. Some people will not like you standing in their view or behind them as they swing at the ball. I could really care less what someone else is doing as long as they don't make me laugh. Remember the golden rule is silence and no movement if that is what the player wants.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you, Donald, Dennis and Sam.

The three of you have proferred different pieces of wisdom, of which I will take advantage.

Donald, yes, thank you so much for the reminder to shoot the whole, not just the parts. Sometimes I do forget to offer the setting.

Dennis, thank you especially for the suggestion about capturing some trouble shots. What great advice. Pictures like that will be well received by all, not just the golfers.

Sam, thank you for your information. Since this is not a pro event and I am the photographer for the Alumni association event, I am expected to take pictures. Also, your equipment is much like mine - Canon 7D, Canon XSI as backup - only I do not have all of the lenses you do. I have my trusty 18-55 kit lens, my 70-300 IS USM zoom lens, and my brand spanking new 70-200 2.8 L. The picture above was taken with the new lens.

Again, thank you so much! I will be sure to post pictures - look for them the first week in June. In fact, I may contact the gentleman I shot the above picture of and see if I can meet him for a practice shoot. You all have inspired me.

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

Marie: You say that this is an alumni event. The golfers may like a shot of their foursome standing together on the tee. Good luck and have a nice day. I'll watch for your posts.