Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flowers from a Welsh garden #2 - Rhododendron

rob marshall

Flowers from a Welsh garden #2 - Rhododendron

Six manually focussed shots using a Canon 5D Mk2 and Sigma 105mm macro lens. Stacked in CS5. Studio lit with two flash-heads.

If you missed #1 it's here... Flowers from a Welsh garden #1 - Chive

Here's a screen print at about 120% so you can see the detail.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Flowers from a Welsh garden #2 - Rhododendron

Rob, you are a master of stacking! I hope that someday, I could learn how to take shots like this.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Beautiful vibrant colors, Rob.

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Rob. Great looking Rhody and you did an excelent job with the color, which I might say is no easy feat with this particular color of Rhody.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Well done Rob. Great looking Rhody and you did an excelent job with the color, which I might say is no easy feat with this particular color of Rhody.
    Thanks, Paul. I did very little processing with this shot. A slight tweak of the contrast in RAW and a little bit of clarity slider. That was it. The exposure and colour are what the camera took. I used auto WB.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Rob, you are a master of stacking! I hope that someday, I could learn how to take shots like this.
    Jiro

I know I keep saying this, but I mean it. It's very easy for anyone to do these shots. All it needs is a bit of patience. If you are careful in the manual focussing, the actual work is all done by CS4/5. Then you just do any tidying up to get rid of dust etc on the black areas and repair any blemishes on the flowers, a slight tweak of contrast and a few other things and you are done.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    If you are careful in the manual focussing, the actual work is all done by CS4/5.
    Have you tried using a focusing rail, Rob?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Have you tried using a focusing rail, Rob?
    Yes, I have. But I've never had any real problem with getting the stacks aligned properly. On the few occasions that I have, it's been down to camera movement because I knocked it. I think you might get slightly better results with a rail, but I don't have that much patience.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Yes, I have. But I've never had any real problem with getting the stacks aligned properly. On the few occasions that I have, it's been down to camera movement because I knocked it. I think you might get slightly better results with a rail, but I don't have that much patience.
    I was just curious. The only time I have tried stacking was when I was testing out the 50mm reverse macro, and needless to say the results were not exactly spectacular, but I felt decent, given that I was hand holding both the camera and the lens.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    I was just curious. The only time I have tried stacking was when I was testing out the 50mm reverse macro, and needless to say the results were not exactly spectacular, but I felt decent, given that I was hand holding both the camera and the lens.
    I have seen some amazing shots that are hand-held and stacked. Given that you don't get much leeway for alignment in the software that's some feat.