Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon's New Tilt/Shift Lens: 17mm TS-E Mark II

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Canon's New Tilt/Shift Lens: 17mm TS-E Mark II

Bill - just wondering if you'll be investing in one of the new Canon 17mm T&S lenses?
    Last edited by McQ; 21st February 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: split thread

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: First real shots with 24mm TS-E

Hi Colin,

The flexibility / ease of use of these new lenses, with the new barrel design employed in both the TS-E17mmF4L and TS-E24mmF3.5MkII interests me more, than the 17mm Focal length, per se.

Either way, living “down here”, I will have the convenience (advantage?) of listening to all the accolades and whinges of those who buy before me.

I think the 17 would be great for some indoor work, I can think of some beautiful Church Interiors etc, and also for some very Creative Landscape work – as for table shots etc, perhaps it will be bit wide.

But, if one were going the 17mm TS-E route, before buying it as a general (expensive) addition to a DSLR kit, I believe one would have to ask, “What is the value of the extra wide and the extra stop I get with the 14mmF2.8L compared to the value of T&S at 17mm?”

Because, I can envisage a 14F2.8L being more useful inside some buildings, for example, rather than setting a tripod and fiddling with T&S adjustments; and all the time that takes and all the attention it draws. Just whip out the 14mm, get a good viewpoint and do good post production.

The TS-E17 will likely also find it way into Professional areas where the convenience of DSLR outweighs the quality, technicality, or costs (in time and money) of operating a larger camera.

One integral point to remember is: the T&S lenses for 135 format cameras are an hybrid technology providing limited movements (compared to a Field Cameras or View Cameras), and this technology was born in the film era, to give 35mm Photographers some latitudes and entre into an area where before only those with Field and View Cameras trod.

This all happened before Digital was born, and thus, before Digital Post Production. Some of those latitudes have been swallowed by Digital Manipulations – and Digital Manipulations are only going to become more sophisticated, not less so.

Personally, at this time, the 24mm is the “right fit” for the generalist stuff I do. That said, remember I have kept my 5x4, if I really need to get serious – but I doubt I will get that serious, again.

There is great pleasure, and excellence in getting it as perfect as possible at every stage of the image making process, and I think the DSLR Photographers who subscribe to that Philosophy will find uses for the TS-E17F4L, as I do for my 24.

In this regard I encourage Hans M. to continue the path begun. The images (he?) posted are really nice: but more than that, they are an achievement.

The images above were created “on site” with planning, thought, and physical dexterity and with the pressure of time: these are vastly different aspects of Photography to the Digital Manipulations we now achieve at our computers, with a coffee (or Red) whilst listening to the Rolling Stones.

Perhaps for some, it is Proper Photography, and what Photography is really, all about.

Cheers,

Bill

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Whilst I would agree the perspective can be fairly easily and comprehensively corrected in PP, the focus plane cannot. When I read Sean's tutorial on these lenses, it shattered a mis-held belief I had about the extent of focus plane adjustment possible. So I still think there is some value in them, although I'm unlikely to ever own one.
    Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

@ Bill,

Thanks Bill - interesting thoughts. For what it's worth, I've got the EF14mm/2.8L - and to be honest, I'm finding it difficult to get the best out of it - it can bite yer in the bum in the blink of an eye if you don't get the composition spot on - and I don't dare take it near water like I do with other lenses (like my 16-35/2.8L) as that front element looks REALLY delicate!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Canon's New Tilt/Shift Lens: 17mm TS-E Mark II

@ Dave:

re: the Plane of Focus - Absolutely.

@ Colin:

Hey, I have to watch my composition with anything wider than 28mm (on 135 format).

I am sooooo careful when using the 24 and I am referred to as that "grumpy b@zt@8d" who will not allow anyting wider than a 28mm lens to be used by the Assistant Photographer at Weddings

WW

Re: Canon's New Tilt/Shift Lens: 17mm TS-E Mark II

I am about to getting more serious into arquitecture photography. I am just waiting for the first Canon TS 24mm II reports, and (don't be amazed) that will affect the decission of staying in Canon (my present gear is quite limited) or moving to Nikon. Nikon has the great 14-24 so as 24, 45 and 80mm TS lenses, so I would be well served for this kind of photography in that brand.

What do you think? do you think the high expected price of the new Canon 24mm TS will match quality expectances? it's almost twice as expensive as the 24mm PC-E from Nikon which, unlike the former Canon 24mm TS, has gained a very good reputation.

The cameras to be chosen would be 5D Mark II and Nikon D700. For me 20Mpx is a good thing, but as an amateur photographer don't really need them today and I know that eventually they will be available on Nikon at an affordable price.

BR
    Last edited by _GUI_; 8th March 2009 at 02:20 AM.