Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter cometh

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Winter cometh

We are now at the time of year when this is what we have to put up with when we look out our windows of a morning! Bah! Who needs fog and frost? It's all right for those of you who live in Sunny Scotland! I am going back to sit in front of the wood heater!
    Bye the bye these were taken with a camera which we have had since around 2001. It is an Olypmus Camedia 10. Since then it has been sitting on a shelf gathering dust as, after we first bought it and being simple folk, we found it too complex to use. Okay, so we admit to being stupid. Anyway, thanks to what I have picked up since joining CIC, and a bit of a domestic 'Spring clean,' I 'rediscovered' it the other day and thought I would have a go at using it. These are my first attempts.
    K
    Winter cometh

Winter cometh

Winter cometh

rob marshall

Re: Winter cometh

I had to look that one up. This is a review from 11 years ago! http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/e10/e1...tml#RESOLUTION 4MP !!!

It seems to take good shots. I like #1 in particular. A good sense of depth.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I have to agree. I like both #1 and #2. The color and resolution is just great. I think that 'ol camera is still a keeper.

Real Name
    Al

Wonderful composition in #2. Everything in this shot leads to the isolated tree in the center.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    It's all right for those of you who live in Sunny Scotland!
    Yes indeed. As the temperature races ever upwards, we get to remove the first of our layers of wool and thermal underwear and risk exposing a bit of skin to the elements.

All nice, but #1 is a cracker. As Rob writes, good sense of depth. The inclusion of that homestead at the bottom right just makes it. Gives us a sense of scale and context. It really helps 'tell the story'.

Love it.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

I really like #1, without the building in the front it looks like a scene from Jurassic Park

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I have to agree. I like both #1 and #2. The color and resolution is just great. I think that 'ol camera is still a keeper.
    Hi Willie
    Thanks for taking the time to view my post and for your comments. I was of two minds about #1. The lone tree in the clearing was the prime focus of the shot. I wondered if I should have cropped just above the tree line behind this tree to focus attention in on it.
    And I agree with you. We will keep this ol' camera. Particularly as it has a 3X extension lens , F2.8, f=420 mm equivalent which I have yet to put through its paces. Could be interesting hey?
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 10th May 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I had to look that one up. This is a review from 11 years ago! http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/e10/e1...tml#RESOLUTION 4MP !!!

It seems to take good shots. I like #1 in particular. A good sense of depth.
    Hi Rob
    Thank you for viewing my post and for your comments. The old camera does seem to work okay, especially given who was in charge of 'pushing its buttons!'
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    Wonderful composition in #2. Everything in this shot leads to the isolated tree in the center.
    Hi Al
    Thank you for viewing and for your posted reply. You picked it up in one. That particular tree was my prime subject.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes indeed. As the temperature races ever upwards, we get to remove the first of our layers of wool and thermal underwear and risk exposing a bit of skin to the elements.

All nice, but #1 is a cracker. As Rob writes, good sense of depth. The inclusion of that homestead at the bottom right just makes it. Gives us a sense of scale and context. It really helps 'tell the story'.

Love it.
    Hi Donald
    Thank you for viewing and for your helpful analysis of what helped to 'make the shot.' Sometimes I am not conscious or aware of these important factors until someone with the appropriate know-how points them out to me. I find being made aware of these things is most useful in guiding me towards being more critical in how I compose future shots
    Just one point sir. Re your comment, "Love it?" Can I seek clarification on this please? Not sure whether you are alluding to the posted photos or the opportunity to shed some garments and expose a bit of skin?
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Toby
    Thank you for viewing and for taking the time to post a reponse.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Dave

Your winter cometh and our winter stayeth. Had snow again yesterday but soon spring will arrive. Beautiful country and I really like the fog effect

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Dave
    Thank you for viewing my post and your comment. Fortunately we are not afflicted by snow and its aftermath where we live.
    cheers
    Ken