Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Loon on the lake

Real Name
    Tim

Loon on the lake

Loon on the lake

Need a better lens. Took this from my porch, but this guy wasn't going to get any closer.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Loon on the lake

Looks good to me, Tim. Simple, but good. I was wondering what would be the effect if the loon was positioned on the lower 1/3 on the right.

Real Name
    james

I have been looking for loons, but unsuccessfully lately. 3 weeks ago everytime I went to the river it seems like I would see them. nice shot .

Real Name
    Tim

jiro,
    I tried that first, but I felt like this gave a better sense of the scene. Plus I wanted to catch the whole reflection, and keep the loon as large as possible. Looking at it now, it could use a horizon fix

james,
    They were probably migrating. This one has been fishing out there for a few days. There are a lot of perch there. I have a camera set up on the porch, and keep an eye out. He got closer this morning, but by the time I got there, he had dived, and they come up a hundred yards from where they dive, usually.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    it could use a horizon fix
    I actually think that might be what this image needs. If it were straightened, just a little, the top right position might work better. Otherwise, I'd go with jiro's suggestion. I find most animals and birds seem at home in the bottom right corner. You might also try an edge preserving smooth or a salt'n'pepper filter to get rid of some of the speckles.

Here's a quickie...

Loon on the lake
    Last edited by Szczur; 5th May 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Real Name
    Tim

Loon on the lake

I think that what really disappoints me about this picture is that I couldn't really get the picture I wanted, which was a full frame loon, with the equipment I have. They are very wary birds.

Real Name
    Debbie

If you go Here, to my very primitive, very neglected, collection of old point and shoot photos and scroll down...I wish I had the equipment I have now when I was hanging out on a pond with this guy.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    Loon on the lake

I think that what really disappoints me about this picture is that I couldn't really get the picture I wanted, which was a full frame loon, with the equipment I have. They are very wary birds.
    I was thinking more of this crop, Tim.
    Loon on the lake

I hear you about the limitations that our present lens and camera have on us. Still, it's a good way to learn until we can save more money to buy better glass in the future.