Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: VINS (not the kind you drink)

VINS (not the kind you drink)

My sister, youngest son, Toby, and I went to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science, yesterday. They have a wonderful raptor center where they nurse and/or care for raptors who have been injured.

This Barred Owl (which I am, oh, so disappointed to learn is not a bard owl - all these years, I thought....) was a thrill to spend 15 minutes with. So beautiful with the greatest, sleepiest, mellow personality. I'm really in love! He wasn't able to pass his test to hunt for food and is possibly a little blind from his injury; so, he may be a long term resident.

#3 He and his handler had such an incredible rapport, the whole time.

#4 This little girl was absolutely captivated.

I would appreciate any input on these photos. Post processing seemed tricky, this time, for some reason. Then, one would think, standing RIGHT THERE that it would be any easy shot but...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: VINS (not the kind you drink)

Hi katy,

I think you've done as well as can be expected given the backgrounds - you have them out of focus.

I might suggest a PP desaturation of the red 'sign behind' in #3, but apart from that, being really picky, a clone out of the bolt heads in timber work of #2 and #3.

They're great; good exposure, WB, etc.

What makes you think that either 'daddy' dressed the little girl that morning, or that's currently her favorite red top that she wears it with everything

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

#1 gives, I think, the best picture of the bird. For me, it's the strongest composition.

Love the pictures of the little girl. I wonder if the second of those could take an even tighter crop, to lose the adult hand .... or maybe the holding-hands is an important part of the scene. Can't decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi katy,

I think you've done as well as can be expected given the backgrounds - you have them out of focus.

I might suggest a PP desaturation of the red 'sign behind' in #3, but apart from that, being really picky, a clone out of the bolt heads in timber work of #2 and #3.

They're great; good exposure, WB, etc.

What makes you think that either 'daddy' dressed the little girl that morning, or that's currently her favorite red top that she wears it with everything

Cheers,
    Thanks, Dave! I'm not quite sure, yet, how to desaturate that sign but I did clone the bolt heads. I was wondering about the backgrounds but couldn't tell what I was wondering. This helped!

This wasn't the greatest shot, anyway, I just missed the one that I really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    #1 gives, I think, the best picture of the bird. For me, it's the strongest composition.

Love the pictures of the little girl. I wonder if the second of those could take an even tighter crop, to lose the adult hand .... or maybe the holding-hands is an important part of the scene. Can't decide.
    Thanks, Donald! That's my favorite one, too. I think that a barn door for a background to an owl if perfect and I like the browns and the greens together.

Also, I like the second picture of the little girl best, too. (I only really included the first one because I have leggings and tenny envy. I secretly think that little girls get to where all the really fun clothes but pleeeeease don't tell anyone that I said that!!!) I thought about getting rid of the hand but then, a) her hand would go off into no where and b) how sweet to have a little girl holding on to a mother's hand.