Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entrance

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Entrance

This is the main entrance to the SeaWorld complex in San Antonio, Texas. Thank you very much for viewing. Click the image to see the bigger picture.

Entrance

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 18mm, Exposure at ISO 200, f5.6 at 1/1000 of a second, Matrix metering in Aperture Priority Mode, Edited in Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Entrance

The processing works great, Willie... like always.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    The processing works great, Willie... like always.
    Thank you very much, Mary... as always.

Real Name
    Paul

I like this quite a bit Jiro, very nice work.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    This is the main entrance to the SeaWorld complex in San Antonio, Texas. Thank you very much for viewing. Click the image to see the bigger picture.
    I keep clicking, but all I get is a larger version of the image... I really want to see the bigger picture hoping to understand the workings of the universe, but... Sorry, bad joke.

Anyway, I like the B/W work here, Jiro. However, What I find distracting are those clouds on the right. I have two thoughts on them - first, that they look like HDR clouds, and I always find those distracting. But more specifically here, they are in such a limited space in the shot, I don't think they add anything to it.

To me, the focus here are the arches, but with those clouds on the right, they compete for my attention and I find myself then looking in the rest of the clouds and not finding anything of interest.

Honestly, it took me three or four views to finally notice the Seaworld logo mosaic in the middle of the arches. I'd say take some of the focus away from those clouds and place it on the arches. And perhaps - if you want to - brighten that mosaic to make it a little more attention grabbing - unless you want to keep it low-key of course.

Or - if you like the look of those clouds, make them like that for all of the clouds but that'll probably have its own balance problems that you'd have to sort through once you get there.

Just my $0.02.

- Bill

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I like this quite a bit Jiro, very nice work.
    Thanks, Paul.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I keep clicking, but all I get is a larger version of the image... I really want to see the bigger picture hoping to understand the workings of the universe, but... Sorry, bad joke.

Anyway, I like the B/W work here, Jiro. However, What I find distracting are those clouds on the right. I have two thoughts on them - first, that they look like HDR clouds, and I always find those distracting. But more specifically here, they are in such a limited space in the shot, I don't think they add anything to it.

To me, the focus here are the arches, but with those clouds on the right, they compete for my attention and I find myself then looking in the rest of the clouds and not finding anything of interest.

Honestly, it took me three or four views to finally notice the Seaworld logo mosaic in the middle of the arches. I'd say take some of the focus away from those clouds and place it on the arches. And perhaps - if you want to - brighten that mosaic to make it a little more attention grabbing - unless you want to keep it low-key of course.

Or - if you like the look of those clouds, make them like that for all of the clouds but that'll probably have its own balance problems that you'd have to sort through once you get there.

Just my $0.02.

- Bill
    Thank you very much for your input, Bill. The clouds on the right was not altered separately from the rest of the frame but I do understand your point. Based on the RAW file that part of the clouds was really darker than the rest and maybe that's the reason why when it was processed it tend to increase the contrast on that side. I will try to soften the contrast on that area and try to re-processed my black and white workflow for this shot. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thank you very much for your input, Bill. The clouds on the right was not altered separately from the rest of the frame but I do understand your point. Based on the RAW file that part of the clouds was really darker than the rest and maybe that's the reason why when it was processed it tend to increase the contrast on that side. I will try to soften the contrast on that area and try to re-processed my black and white workflow for this shot. Thanks.
    Jiro,

I hope you didn't think I was being too harsh. I am glad to hear that the clouds were not intentionally made to look that way. With your abilities with PS, I was surprised to see them having what I thought was an over-processed look to them. Now I understand that you were actually staying true to the original capture. But getting back to your abilities with PS, I have no doubt that you'll be coming back with another version that really does the shot justice.

- Bill

Real Name

Jiro,

I hope you didn't think I was being too harsh. I am glad to hear that the clouds were not intentionally made to look that way. With your abilities with PS, I was surprised to see them having what I thought was an over-processed look to them. Now I understand that you were actually staying true to the original capture. But getting back to your abilities with PS, I have no doubt that you'll be coming back with another version that really does the shot justice.

- Bill
    Not at all. If there's one thing that I learned about post-processing it would be the fact that "there will always be something that you might have missed along the way that some good friend will tell you later." Thanks, Bill. We never stop learning.

Real Name

Bill, how's this for the edit?

Entrance

Real Name
    Bill S

Magnifique!

See - the difference here is that you can actually make those modifications while I can only look at it and say 'I need to reshoot this.'

- Bill

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Jiro
    Great study which I like. Thank you for sharing.
    Being strictly a 'hamatuer' would it be cheeky for me to suggest , 'What is your opinion of cropping down the RHS of the image? Maybe take out the LHS pillar on the door near the round light fitting and everything to its right such as the umbrella stand and curved roof panel?" I found them a little distracting. But hey, what would I really know, being little more than "a geriatic street kid" in these matters? And I liked what the clouds added and would have left them well alone. The cropping I suggested would perhaps tone them down slightly on the RHS and maybe this would resolve the issues raised over them?
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 29th April 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Real Name

Magnifique!

See - the difference here is that you can actually make those modifications while I can only look at it and say 'I need to reshoot this.'

- Bill
    I'm glad this edit passed your approval.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Hi Jiro
    Great study which I like. Thank you for sharing.
    Being strictly a 'hamatuer' would it be cheeky for me to suggest , 'What is your opinion of cropping down the RHS of the image? Maybe take out the LHS pillar on the door near the round light fitting and everything to its right such as the umbrella stand and curved roof panel?" I found them a little distracting. But hey, what would I really know, being little more than "a geriatic street kid" in these matters? And I liked what the clouds added and would have left them well alone. The cropping I suggested would perhaps tone them down slightly on the RHS and maybe this would resolve the issues raised over them?
    Cheers
    Ken
    That is a very valid point, too Ken. I will do the crop later and see if it will further balance the shot. Thanks for the input! We learn from everyone.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Jiro
    Sometimes I just don't seem to be able to find the words to adequately convey my thoughts. So, if you will please excuse my presumption in modifying your work, what I was babbling on about in my previous post above was the following. But of course the golden rule is that 'it is your picture and it should look and convey exactly what you want. And if that's what you like, then end of story!'
    Please excuse the added frame. We 'talked' about this earlier in previous posts. It is just a quickie from Gimp to give you some idea of what it can do.
    regards
    old ucci

Entrance

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Hi Jiro
    Sometimes I just don't seem to be able to find the words to adequately convey my thoughts. So, if you will please excuse my presumption in modifying your work, what I was babbling on about in my previous post above was the following. But of course the golden rule is that 'it is your picture and it should look and convey exactly what you want. And if that's what you like, then end of story!'
    Please excuse the added frame. We 'talked' about this earlier in previous posts. It is just a quickie from Gimp to give you some idea of what it can do.
    regards
    old ucci

Entrance
    That is a good edit, Ken. Thanks for doing it faster than me (I need to cook dinner first that's why I told you guys I'll do the edit later. LOL!) Yeah, it looks nice! I'll do that edit and save it as another version of this work. Thanks, Man!
    Last edited by jiro; 29th April 2011 at 01:46 AM.

Real Name
    Joe

Excellent job Jiro!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jjbacoomba View Post
    Excellent job Jiro!
    Thank you very much, Joe.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Nice work as always Jiro.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Nice work as always Jiro.
    Thank you very much, too Sam for always taking the time to view my work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast