Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Broke down and took a pic of a mallard...

Real Name
    Tim

Broke down and took a pic of a mallard...

Broke down and took a pic of a mallard...

It is a very tight, pixel for pixel, crop. Cloned out one dot of debris. There was a loon out there earlier, but I didn't have the camera handy :·(

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Broke down and took a pic of a mallard...

That was really a tight crop, Tim. It's even too centered. Just kidding. What camera did you use to take this shot? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    There was a loon out there earlier, but I didn't have the camera handy :·(
    Wow, a loon! Do you see them often, Tim? I've never seen one, here, in VT.

Real Name
    Tim

I am still using the EOS Rebel XS 10.2 Megapixel This one was at 250 MM, maximum zoom, 200 ISO.

I used NeatImage on full noise reduction. The water was like that, it was amazing, zero wind, mirror flat for miles. I wish I could have taken the whole day off just to shoot pictures.

Katy, Yes, common loons are ... well... common around here. I hear them every couple of weeks, see them more often than that.

Maybe "tight" isn't the word for the crop, maybe I meant "hard," because I cropped it down to actual size, so no resizing done for the site, but still the picture is not very large.

Real Name
    james

Loons around here photograph like black birds and crows ... just too much blackness ...i see them occasionally and they are pleasing to watch but I havent figured out how to show detail on them .Nice reflection Tim.

Real Name
    Tim

I heard a loon just now this morning, but it was too foggy to see, much less photograph.

James,
    Have you tried setting the exposure compensation up a little? My rule is set it up for dark birds, down for light birds. Also, you have to be aware of how your metering is set up, and choose the appropriate mode. Sometimes it is better to let the background blow out overexposed, but you can go too far there too, losing edge definition. From what I have been able to figure out, it is not an exact science, and you have to think on your feet. This bird is a little dark, but I brought it up with dodging some. Not sure it that helps you, your work has improved a lot since you got here, and I never can tell where somebody is, but maybe somebody can use the advice, anyway.
    - Tim

Real Name
    james

Thanks a lot Tim. I have had alot of help here .. and I am just now realizing to ask. I appreciate the good advice.I feel like I have a solid group of advisors here .Your mallerd pic inspired me to get a reflection of my own. what do you think?Broke down and took a pic of a mallard...

Real Name
    Wendy

Very nice James - I think you should add this one to the Blue Heron thread. Great shot

Wendy

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Wow, a loon! Do you see them often, Tim? I've never seen one, here, in VT.
    You've never seen a Loon in VT? Wow. Lake Winnipesaukee had a lot. I have a lot of pictures. Have you ever heard the sounds they make when their nest gets destroyed or they lose a baby? Oh. My. Word. It is heart wrenching. They are beautiful.

Real Name
    Tim

Very nice James. Aside from the nice reflection, the color harmonies are pretty good as well, that green spot is a little distracting. Usually birds have great color harmonies.