Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Farmyard at easter

Real Name
    Kay

Farmyard at easter

We stayed at our school farm over the easter break.
    The story behind the place is it is a working dairy farm where the yr 9 students (aged 15 yrs) spend 5 weeks living and working in groups of about 20 or 25 students with staff. They learn a lot of life skills and getting on with others etc - the hot water is via a boiler, which if you don't chop the wood and stoke it regularly, then you don't get hot showers and they are responsible for cleaning their own quarters and doing their own washing.
    .....although they all seem to forget how to clean the bathroom when they get home....most confusing that

I left on Saturday and travelled to the city for my wedding workshop day - at exactly the time the herd of cows were leaving the milking shed and were blocking the road...
    suffice to say I ended up muddy with questionable substances on my feet when I eventually moved them on and got back in the car.

I am not prone to the great outdoors photography, but had a little dabble - I am sorry Steve for the inclusion of the geese, ducks and water, but at least the water's not fluffy

Part of the lesson plan at the workshop was practice with light just on our models and spot metre ing for that which was the subject rather than the scene, so I was practicing that on the feathered ones.

The sad story is the cow - she laboured for a while before we got to her, we tried to pull the calf out with a rope and several strong men, but to no avail - we ran for the tractor then and with that pulled him out, but sadly the pressure on his chest meant he couldn't breathe and was eventually stillborn after being alive when we first found her needing help.
    She stayed and licked him clean and called to him over the next 24 hours, nature can be cruel.

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Farmyard at easter

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Farmyard at easter

Me like dog and cow...

Wellll, Kay,.... you could probably critique these as well as I could. All of the photos have a beautiful sense of place and time. It just looks like a clean, fresh and beautiful place to be. Those three ducks are pretty humorous and the dog looks like a distant relation of "Hank the Cowdog" - I'd like to make his acquaintance. It's very fun to know what you're up to, too. (Oh, speaking of....good luck with all the program design, etc. for the musical. Can't wait to see pics for that, too!) and, I'm so sorry for the cow situation....where's James Herriot when you need him?
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 28th April 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kay,

Sounds like a full on Easter. I do like one and two. I like the subtle changes in blue tones in the reflection and the trees.

Real Name
    Paul

Sounds like a good time Kay. For....as you say...not being prone to great outdoor photography....that #2 sure couldn't prove it. I like it quite a bit.