Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tulips

Real Name
    Bill S

Tulips

All,

We got a break in the rain here last week and I headed out with my new flash and was working on some macros. I also took this shot of a bunch of tulips.

C&C appreciated on both the use of flash - if you can tell the difference, as well as the RAW conversion as I am pretty much taking my first steps there and would like to know if I'm doing well with it. Regular C&C welcome as well.

Tulips

Full size version.

Thanks!

- Bill

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Tulips

From what I can see, I think the flash may have been just a hair strong and came close to blowing the yellow flowers in the foreground. Over all the colors are nice but you might play with the green slider in curves to bring a bit of lift to the leaves and stalks.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    From what I can see, I think the flash may have been just a hair strong and came close to blowing the yellow flowers in the foreground. Over all the colors are nice but you might play with the green slider in curves to bring a bit of lift to the leaves and stalks.
    Paul ,

Thanks for the comment!

I have to agree with you there for sure. I think the flowers are a bit more reflective and so the flash really made them "pop" but now the leaves/stems are bland in comparison. I showed it to my wife, and she said that I over processed the colors to make the flowers stand out, but I haven't touched them at all! All I did was adjust the brightness, contrast, and maybe the sharpness sliders minorly (will have to wait till I get home to confirm to what amounts). Except for those little tweaks, this is SOOC (not even cropped!).

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

I will post this in the macro thread too, but figured I would share here as well. A nice macro shot I captured today during another break in the rain.

Tulips

C&C welcome.

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

I thought about making another thread, but in case folks are tired of the tulip threads... I'll just post here.

Here's another tulip taken with my new flash setup. C&C appreciated. The one thing that kind of bothers me is the dark portion on the bottom right. I maybe should have bounced a little light back onto the flower to open that shadow up a bit. Anything else I could improve on?

Tulips

Thanks for looking!

- Bill