Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Slightly Different Flash Bracket Makes A Difference

Real Name
    Richard

Slightly Different Flash Bracket Makes A Difference

I like using off-camera flash on a camera-flip bracket with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro to modify and soften the light. I think that this system provides a combination of very decent lighting and great portability...

I have been using a generic camera-flip bracket like this one. Both the camera and the flash can flip.

However, I like to carry the rig using the bar to which the flash is attached as a handle. It is very comfortable for me to use the somewhat weighty rig like this. The problem with the bracket I was using is that the flash bar also flips and is not a stable handle with which to carry my setup. I was pondering how to modify my rig to stabilize the flash bar but, realized that the genuine Stroboframe bracket has a solid flash bar and I would not need to do any modifying. Why D.I.Y. when I could get a model already setup the way I want.

I was able to purchase a used eBay Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket for $15.00 (USD) and to sell my present bracket for $15.00. That way I got the solid bar I wanted without any modifications and for only the price of shipping the Stroboflash model.

Doubtless, there are many other brackets which can be used for off-camera bounce flash but, I am quite happy with the rig I have now - especially with the stable flash bar to use as a carry-handle.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Slightly Different Flash Bracket Makes A Difference

Wait - was it your Siegelite that you sold? Are you telling me that I just paid $33 for one and you sold yours for $15?

I did notice that about the Siegelite versus other models - like that Stroboframe you bought. I noticed that right away about the Siegelite - I'll need to crank down the bolt in the bottom corner to be able to hold the camera from the bracket as a handle - but then that would probably prevent it from being able to be folded for easier transport in my bag.

But what I was more interested in with the Siegelite was the articulation in the upper corner which most flash brackets - including the two you show here - do not have.

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

Nope... I have and use the Siegelite Bracket especially for macro work. I love it for that purpose. The articulation is the key to the use of this bracket in macro or close-up photography.

I also had a generic camera flip bracket which I used for mostly non-macro work. It was that bracket that I sold for $15 (USD) after buying the OEM Stroboframe bracket. I had originally paid about $17.00 for the generic bracket (including shipping) so I wasn't out much cash.

I "could" use the Siegelite for non-macro work but, I am more comfortable with the Stroboframe for venues like event photography, models and just about everything else. Using my Siegelite with the camera in portrait position requites me to rotate the bar on which the camera is mounted unless I am shooting with a tripod ring equipped lens. With the Stroboframe bracket, I just flip the camera onto its side for portrait work. Since, I use the bracket very often for shooting people, I use it in the portrait position frequently and it is imperative that I can be comfortable with my camera in that position.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 25th April 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Ah - good. Otherwise I was going to have to give you a hard time for not offering the Siegelite to me...

Speaking of which - I've often wondered why we don't have a "Buy/Sell/Trade" section?

I am happy with the Siegelite so far though. The one thing I didn't like is that the hand grip is a little small - my little finger hits the horizontal bar and can't close all the way around the grip, making it feel like a less secure grip. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. I am looking forward to my cable and softbox - which should arrive on Friday. Though I think I am going to work with the 7D's ability to handle the 580EX II wirelessly and see if I like that at all.

- Bill

I wish I had bought one of these now. I have the Canon SB-E2 and whist it keeps everything compact and sturdy it is nowhere near flexible enough. Even shooting portrait orientation becomes a feat of contorsion. The SB-E2 is precision engineered but at £145 it is overpriced. I paid somewhat less for a used boxed and mint specimen from MPB but even so I do regret it.