Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Advice Would be Nice

Some Advice Would be Nice

I really wanted this to work but......

Some Advice Would be Nice

Am I self flagellating along the right lines?

• f/8 was too wide to get all the fluffy bits in focus at a shooting distance of approx. 5ft (I focused on the centre of the dandelion head)
    • 1/400 was to slow to to freeze the movement adequately
    • High speed sync flash may of helped to freeze the action and get better separation between the fluffy bits and the background

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Some Advice Would be Nice

The background is rather busy. I'm wondering if this is a situation where if the background was farther from the subject DOF would be shallower at the same f stop and perhaps the fluff would have stood out more????
    Also wondering if fill flash, just the on camera flash, at a negative EV (or whatever you call reduced flash) -1 or 2 might have helped.

Both are serious questions, sorry I'm not much help, but I do wonder if I am on the right track theoretically. In reality I never know what might happen until I try it.

Wendy

Yes, I agree with everything that you have said, Steve. And I also agree with Wendy that the background is a large part of the problem.

Wendy, I normally use a little 'negative flash' on my macro shots. Set the aperture and shutter speed to whatever is needed then use a suitable ISO. Adjust the flash output to fit.

Somewhere around -2/3 to -1 usually works out about right. But it does take a little bit of experimentation; although once you get the 'eye' for these scenes it should be possible to guess the settings fairly accurately.

Wendy, Geoff

Thanks for the input I think you have both confirmed my own thoughts. I had another go at this HERE much better results. I did not use flash but I did go for a neutral background and reduced the aperture to f/10 and pushed the shutter up to 1/640

The fill flash would work of course but I did not want to blow out the face. I need to experiment more with fill flash