Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can this image be saved?

Real Name
    james

Can this image be saved?

I have elements 9. I am very unexperienced with pp. I feel like the highlights in the water are killing this shot, any ideas ? Thanks for viewing.Can this image be saved?

rob marshall

Re: Can this image be saved?

James

It doesn't look too bad on my monitor. I put it into CS5 RAW edit and it only shows a very few water spots as blown. Quite acceptable. I think it looks better with a crop to remove some of the water. I also used 'fill light' to make the bird a little lighter.

It's a pity the head isn't showing. If you are doing shots such as this, you might want to have the camera set to multiple shots and just keep your finger on the trigger. Or did you do that?

Can this image be saved?

Because you look for somewhat differently
    Can this image be saved?
    Be a happy Easter

Of course b&w is also possibly because you show a pure action
    Can this image be saved?

had some time

Can this image be saved?

I think to shoot from a low position should have been a good possibility.
    Can this image be saved?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

One possible edit on your image, James.

Can this image be saved?

I extracted the bird, the fish, parts of the water, and the stones and put them on a separate layer. Copied the background layer and adjusted the hue/saturation, applied some curves adjustment to darken them, and blurred them a little bit. On the bird layer, I applied selective dodging and burning to create distinction on the dark and bright areas then applied some sharpening. Combined the 2 layers and then applied some slight global tonal contrast adjustment.

Real Name
    james

Wow I have a lot to learn with post production. Would it be "right" for me to pick one of these images that have been worked on by someone else and still call it mine. I am curious how others would feel if they found an image they worked on claimed by someone else.I guess if I posted it I would mention with post production help by Radu or is that not necessary ? I just used Radu for instance.I have not picked a favorite yet,I will show them to family I see over weekend to help decide . Thank you all.and Happy Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Wow I have a lot to learn with post production. Would it be "right" for me to pick one of these images that have been worked on by someone else and still call it mine. I am curious how others would feel if they found an image they worked on claimed by someone else.I guess if I posted it I would mention with post production help by Radu or is that not necessary ? I just used Radu for instance.I have not picked a favorite yet,I will show them to family I see over weekend to help decide . Thank you all.and Happy Easter.
    You are too kindly.I'm always pleased when I can help.Your shot is YOURS ONLY, that means no mention is necessary.Happy Easter again!

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

I don't think the highlights kill this shot - they don't bother me that much.
    I think the lack of head is more of a shotkiller imo. Can be saved though.

Can this image be saved?
    Last edited by Nass; 24th April 2011 at 10:52 AM.