Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Backyard Birds

Real Name
    Wendy

Backyard Birds

A few from the backyard. Sure would have been nice if the Bluejay was in focus. I wish they would not move so fast, I just can't keep up with them, but this is the best composition that I have so far... now if I could just focus.
    The Robin was in the tub for about 15 minutes. I have to practise on these too. They are not quite as shy as the blue jays, but I'll have to catch them on a sunnier day and try for a higher shutter speed.
    Anyone else have any backyard birds to post I'd love to see them.

Skittish and therefore OOF Bluejay
    Backyard Birds

Splish Splash
    Backyard Birds

Backyard Birds

Wendy

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Backyard Birds

The Bluejay has beautiful colors! The two of the Robins are perfect but I lean toward number 2... maybe number 3... I like all three. I miss my birdbaths and birdfeeders. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

The robin pics are very nice. The water droplets are especially nice.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice robin pics , wendy. I'm not shure which i like best.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks everyone. The Robins are being very co-operative this year. Looks like they had a good vacation they are all big and fat and quite healthy looking.
    Mary, I hope you are soon able to get your feeders and birdbaths set up again. I did not have any in my old place and now I find I spend far too much time sitting outside watching and listening to the birds. Good way to relax though

Thanks again for the feedback everyone
    Wendy

Wendy, these are adorable! I don't know which I like better, either. Although, the first one tells the "story" a bit more. I can't wait to see more.

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

Very cool, I like the bath!

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice. I especially like #3. I have several feeders in the yard and then place some feed on the deck rail to bring them into the backyard. Here is one that was on the rail ready for takeoff.

dsc_3369-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    james

I love the branch in image one coming towards the camera. The robin pics are great!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

All very appealing. But Number 3 is the one that does it for me. Just wonder if a slight crop across bottom with a little more off the top might be a good thing? But, nice work!
    K

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Very nice. I especially like #3. I have several feeders in the yard and then place some feed on the deck rail to bring them into the backyard. Here is one that was on the rail ready for takeoff.

dsc_3369-1.jpg
    Nice one Steve. Looks like he is doing a little dance. The Cardinals around here are very shy and I've lost count of the number of hours I've sat waiting for one to get close enough for a decent shot. I think I got 2 shots all winter. Same problem with the Blue Jays they are way too quick for me.

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Katy, I agree about the first one telling the story better but I think the shutter speed should have been a tad faster. The blurred motion is good to tell the story, but it is a bit too blurred whereas the second one is a better shot, but you can't really tell that the Robin is responsible for the spray. It's always something

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think the suggested slight crop top and bottom on the second Robin would be an improvement. Thanks for the feedback.

Wendy

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

I like the first one of the robin. Here are some birds I picked up in my and my neighbours backyards. Why do I only get thumbnails posted?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Wendy

Nice backgrounds and perches Dennis. Is the first one a Goldfinch? It sort of looks like a Goldfinch but I thought they had more yellow. I like the Downy Woodpecker. We have them around here too, but I don't have a good shot yet. I hear them all the time though, for such small birds they sound like a jackhammer when they get going on a tree.

Wendy

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

Wendy: Yes, that's a goldfinch. I think they will be more yellow later. I don't know if having a late spring around here this year is a factor or not. I'd liked to get a Pileated but I'll have to leave the backyard to do so.

Dennis