Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Candy Machine.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The Candy Machine.

Rows of candy dispensers inside the burger shop where we ate some breakfast this morning.

The Candy Machine.

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 34mm, Exposure at ISO 200, f4.2 at 1/50 of a second, Matrix metering in Aperture Priority Mode, Edited in Lightroom 3.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Re: The Candy Machine.

Dear Jiro,
    I wonder how come no one has posted a comment on this photo yet...
    Your photos are usually taken very nicely by forum.
    It would be naive of me to comments, but I would rather ask you to look at the photo with a critical eye of a 'third person' and offer some suggestions...
    Regards,
    Gurvinder... :-)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by gurvinder77 View Post
    Dear Jiro,
    I wonder how come no one has posted a comment on this photo yet...
    Your photos are usually taken very nicely by forum.
    It would be naive of me to comments, but I would rather ask you to look at the photo with a critical eye of a 'third person' and offer some suggestions...
    Regards,
    Hello, Gurvinder. Oh, it's just fine by me. I'm happy posting my shots and learn what is acceptable and what is not. That's how we learn about photography. Thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    Paul

Jiro, I have been looking at this shot and can't quite figure out what it is that makes it not quite rise to your usual intrest level. I wonder if you had focussed on the second to last container with just a slightly wider aperature if it would have made the difference. I am only thinking allowed here.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Jiro
    I am like Paul and have looked at the picture several times during the day yesterday but just couldnt know what to say about it.

It is a perfectly acceptable image and I like it a lot, but it is strange how it hasn't drawn comments out. Perhaps that is because it is what it is. I mean, you can see exactly what it is and there is no need for ones imagination or thoughts to be provoked.

Perhaps the image is perfect and doesn't need any improvement

I like it, Thanks Jiro

Steve

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Hi Jiro,
    I realize that you shoot with D70. I have D70s, and when I thought of exploring this wonderful world, I wondered if I should upgrade the camera. Better sense prevailed, and I decided to invest in FX lenses (as of now, I just have the kit lens, and apparently, tsunami has delayed shipments and my local dealer is not able to deliver lenses yet), and change body only when I know enough of the stuff. Your images are good enough a proof that body of camera is less important than brain behind the camera!
    About this picture, may I take the liberty to say something?
    I wonder if the plywood on upper left corner, the blank edge on left, and empty space on bottom left are distracting. I just wonder if a tighter crop would look filling the frame better.
    I also wonder if the foreground and background are actually as out-of-focus as they seem in picture, or if that effect has been produced by PP? Can we really have such narrow depth of field at f/4.3?
    Pl pardon me if I sound naive or rude...
    I love to read your posts and admire your images...
    Best regards, Best wishes,

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Interesting comments. I like this image, which I think is a good example of Bokeh. I just wonder if the first candy machine appears to have a harsher/different blur that those on the left hand side. Could be as a result of the jar being much more empty or from editing? What ever the answer this is s good image.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Jiro, I have been looking at this shot and can't quite figure out what it is that makes it not quite rise to your usual intrest level. I wonder if you had focussed on the second to last container with just a slightly wider aperature if it would have made the difference. I am only thinking allowed here.
    Thanks, Paul. I could probably do that trick on the pp later. That's a good idea. Thanks!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Hi Jiro
    I am like Paul and have looked at the picture several times during the day yesterday but just couldnt know what to say about it.

It is a perfectly acceptable image and I like it a lot, but it is strange how it hasn't drawn comments out. Perhaps that is because it is what it is. I mean, you can see exactly what it is and there is no need for ones imagination or thoughts to be provoked.

Perhaps the image is perfect and doesn't need any improvement

I like it, Thanks Jiro

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. That is so nice of you to say that.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Interesting comments. I like this image, which I think is a good example of Bokeh. I just wonder if the first candy machine appears to have a harsher/different blur that those on the left hand side. Could be as a result of the jar being much more empty or from editing? What ever the answer this is s good image.
    Hi, Chris. That's a good observation on your side. The candy container is made from acrylic plastic and the first candy machine has lots of scratches and deep marks on the acrylic plastic. I think that's the reason why the bokeh seems to be harsher on that side. Being empty probably made the harsh look more obvious. Thank you very much for viewing.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, if we want to get all technical and everything - and of course we do...

given the poll that supports the rack of candy machines sits under a machine which is decidedly out of focus, shouldn't the pole be so as well? Just wondering...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by gurvinder77 View Post
    Hi Jiro,
    I realize that you shoot with D70. I have D70s, and when I thought of exploring this wonderful world, I wondered if I should upgrade the camera. Better sense prevailed, and I decided to invest in FX lenses (as of now, I just have the kit lens, and apparently, tsunami has delayed shipments and my local dealer is not able to deliver lenses yet), and change body only when I know enough of the stuff. Your images are good enough a proof that body of camera is less important than brain behind the camera!
    About this picture, may I take the liberty to say something?
    I wonder if the plywood on upper left corner, the blank edge on left, and empty space on bottom left are distracting. I just wonder if a tighter crop would look filling the frame better.
    I also wonder if the foreground and background are actually as out-of-focus as they seem in picture, or if that effect has been produced by PP? Can we really have such narrow depth of field at f/4.3?
    Pl pardon me if I sound naive or rude...
    I love to read your posts and admire your images...
    Best regards, Best wishes,
    Hello, Gurvinder. Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate them a lot.

Regarding the camera. I previously purchased a Nikon D60 thinking that it is better than the D70 since it is newer based on the year it was released. Unfortunately, the one I purchased off at ebay has a body issue so before the 1 week testing period expired I contacted the seller and he was gracious enough to accept the return and refunded me my money. I only have a limited budget of $400.00 at that time and I have to buy a body with a lens kit so I opted for the Nikon D70. Being really a newbie on digital photography I thought owning an old model is not bad at all. Besides, that's all that I can afford at this time. I got some extra $100.00 left from the sale so I bought myself a Nikon 50mm f1.8D lens (China). I already spent my last remaining savings buying some software that I need to help me develop my vision and post processing skills so no more chance for me to buy a better camera body for now.

You have a very keen sense of observation, Sir. Yes, true enough, an 18-70mm lens cannot show such kind of selective focus and bokeh at an opening of f4.3. The bokeh was added on the post-processing. I mimicked the effect of a 105mm lens with an opening of f2.8. The reason for that is 1. - I don't have this prime lens and 2. - When I saw these rows of candy machines, I already had a good idea or vision on what to do with it on the post-processing and that is to selectively focus on one machine and apply the additional bokeh on the PP.

The burger shop is really quite small. I think all in all combining the dining and the kitchen area the floor area is only about 400 square feet. Small, isn't it? You can now imagine how they were able to squeeze all this stuff inside that floor space. I could probably add some vignetting to lower the brightness level of the plywood wall on the left later. That's a good suggestion. Thanks!

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    ... Being really a newbie on digital photography...
    Hello Jiro,
    I am glad to hear from you...
    Your work does not look like that of "newbie", it is much better than many on the forum! Your PP skills provoke quite a bit of envy
    Congratulations on nice work...
    I too had ordered AF Nikkor 50 mm f1.8D which the dealer could not arrange even after two weeks. Maybe I need to wait more...
    Anyways, nice reading your posts...
    Best wishes,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Well, if we want to get all technical and everything - and of course we do...

given the poll that supports the rack of candy machines sits under a machine which is decidedly out of focus, shouldn't the pole be so as well? Just wondering...
    Another very good observation, Chris. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll adjust it later.