Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bubbles

Real Name
    Robin

Bubbles

Five minutes peace and quite in the back garden had me reaching for the camera and wondering what I could point it at.

"Bubbles" I cried - stare all you want I'm used to it - so out came the tub of bubble stuff and the Nikon was put on AF-C and program mode.

Bit of a juggle between the bubble stick/thing and the shutter button but these are the results:

Bubbles

Bubbles

Bubbles

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Bubbles

Wonderful. The last one is superb. I keep wondering why other people have got a much better imagination than me!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Oh. My. Word. I love them, but especially the last one with the sun sparkling on top of the bubble! How fun. This makes me smile.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 20th April 2011 at 07:55 PM.

Robin, you have done really well capturing these in flight. There is quite a lot of noise for ISO 400 probably due to shooting against the such a uniform sky. Not sure how programme mode is calculating these settings but my guess is that it is compromising the ISO setting. Forcing the ISO to 100 will give a far faster shutter speed but you will get less noise. What is interesting is that the shot into the sun has a far lower shutter speed but the aperture is zapped down to f/18 - nice clean sensor by the way Ideally an ND filter or even a CPL may have helped to utilise ISO 100.

The last one suffers less from noise and is a great composition.

Real Name
    Robin

The noise is there because I've ramped up the 'structure' and fiddled with the images to get the bubble showing a little more clearly but frankly I don't care as they are just for fun.

Setting the iso to 100 (which the D300s doesn't naturally do, the base iso is 200) would not increase the shutter speed it would decrease it and would more likely cause the bubbles to be blurred. I set it to 400 and left the camera on P as I had a bottle of washing-up liquidy stuff and a bubble stick thingy in my hands as well as the camera and had to just dump them in order to grab the camera from round my neck before the bubbles floated away. A ND or CPL filter would have done the same thing, reducing the amount of light and thus reducing the shutter speed - or increasing the aperture which because it was smallish produced a little more DoF to give the AF an easier time.

The shutter speed in the last shot is actually much faster than the first two.

Thanks for everyones comments. It was a great laugh trying to catch a shot - give it a try.

One more from later in the afternoon - I had the little 'un running round shouting 'burst the bubbles!' to contend with this time as well as all the previous problems.

Bubbles

would not increase the shutter speed it would decrease it
    Whoops should read before I post. The last one posted is great. I really like that one. Puts mine to shame

Bubbles

Real Name
    Robin

That's class, looks like you have a nicer environment around it to. In mine you can see this mornings laundry on the washing line.

Wow this photo is very nice it looks as if the bubble is sitting on the leaf. I like how the bubble is more focused it looks like its popping out of the picture and the depth of field is amazing.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    That's class, looks like you have a nicer environment around it to. In mine you can see this mornings laundry on the washing line.
    I love seeing the laundry on the line! And then when you add in a little one running around... it's perfect!

In mine you can see this mornings laundry on the washing line.
    I think that is what gives it a more interesting reflection. You have also captured the liquid flow of the bubble surface to a greater extent