Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Steel Post...

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Steel Post...

Hi all...
    Have been reading around the various fora, and trying to get a handle on good workflow. I have this very ordinary photo taken long back, that I have edited in Lightroom. I guess one of the flaws that still are there include: very bright top of the steel post. I did try to burn the area but did not get significant improvement. Moreover, I have not been able to find a way (in Lightroom 3.3) to put a nice border around photo where I could put name of photo "At Job 24X7". I did try to read about it, and see videos as well online; but could not find the way...
    Hope this mediocre photo does serve its purpose of helping me understand the workflow bit better!

Steel Post...

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Steel Post...

Something like this? Instead of burning, I did a layer mask and painted several layers of very light color atop the bright area, then did a blend using both the blur tool and the clone tool in PS. Copied and pasted onto a blankk canvas which was higher than it was long.

Steel Post...

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Good Day Chris...
    Thanks for your guidance and efforts. I did wish to have the brightness reduced of the top of Steel post, just the way you have shown.
    Guess I need to get PS too, in addition to Lightroom. The border looks crisp too.
    Thanks again,
    Gurvinder... :-)

Real Name
    Chris

Glad I could help..sometimes a light painting layer mask works better than a burn. I usually apply three or four layers of paint, then blend them together with the blur tool set to 16-20%..enough to meld the colors but not send the into total disarray. The last layer, which is also the brightest, I leave as is, but don't do it any higher than twice my other colors's values...it helps to keep the playing field, level.

Real Name
    Bob R

Wow, I need to take one of your clases Chris. I have so far to go.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Hello Chris,
    I am novice so far as post-processing is concerned. Guess the best way to learn is to try... Wish I get enough time to shoot RAW and get to use PS better than I do now!
    With help of well meaning persons like you, I definitely hope to be better than I am today!
    Thanks Again...
    Gurvinder... :-)