Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: EF 70-300mm lens test

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

EF 70-300mm lens test

Geoff F very kindly gave me some advice on how to get the best out of the Canon 70-300 mm lens, with which I was having considerable difficulty getting clear sharp images. I took Geoff's advise and kept the aperture between f/8 and f/11 and wacked the shutter speed up as well. The result I am pleased to say is a series of sharp images. I have posted one here of Marlow Bridge. Thanks Geoff - the lens may not have to go after all.

EF 70-300mm lens test

Aperture: f/11 Shutter Speed: 1/250 ISO: 500

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: EF 70-300mm lens test

Hi Chris,

Looks good ... just a couple of suggestions ...

1. Rather than increasing your ISO, you may get a better result using a tripod, and then taking steps to lower the shutterspeed to help smooth the water (difficult without filters, but easier if shot just after sunset where you'll get better colours).

2. I think that there's more to be gained through post-processing in this image; it's a little flat (meaning there are no blacks visible in the image, only greys - so increasing the black clipping point will give it more contrast, and have the desireable side effect of increasing saturation. The image also has a slight rotation to the left, and also needs a little output sharpening:

eg:

EF 70-300mm lens test

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Steve

Actually chris, between 70 and 200mm, f/5.6 to f/8 is sharpest. Over 200mm, f/8 to f/11 is sharpest. ( At least it is on my lens.)

This is an unedited SOOC shot with the 70-300 canon lens.

70mm
    iso 400
    1/2000s
    f/8

As you can see, this lens is very capable of taking very sharp images with good color and contrast.

EF 70-300mm lens test

Real Name
    Chris

I'm actually very happy with my 70-300.

EF 70-300mm lens test

Camera Canon EOS 20D
    Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1000)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Focal Length 170 mm
    ISO Speed 400

Real Name
    Chris

That's the difference between using a lens designed by the maufacturer, and an aftermarket wannabe. The sigma lens has some decent optics, and in my opinion, far better than the Tamrom 70-300 macro zoom I have, but comparing it to a prime Nikkor 70-300 is like saying a really good Volkswagon will perform like a Porche.

My decision comes down to the same dilemma faced by everyone who buys after market optic...Is it good enough not to fret over the fine details? And my answer is, no...and not just no, but *&%# NO.

Real Name
    Steve

If anyone wants to look up any information on a lens, a good place to look is www.slrgear.com Their reviews and tests are usually spot on in my experience.

After you find what focal length you want, do some research on what lens will preform the way you want it to, before you buy it.

Real Name
    Jeroen

What specific EF 70-300mm lens are we talking about?

I own the Canon EF 70-300 mm IS USM myself and (for me) the sharpness of it is incredible and the IS is great.

For example:

EF 70-300mm lens test

f/5.6
    ISO-400
    1/200s
    300mm

(so not even on the sweet spot)