Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Twilight in Jakarta

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

Twilight in Jakarta

Hello..I am wishing now that m images in its own Thread. This picture below was taken in Jakarta, capital city of Indonesia with ISO 200, aperture f5.6, focal length 32. I would kike to ask about the composition & improve the exposure, please give comments?

Twilight in Jakarta
    Last edited by McQ; 14th April 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Twilight in Jakarta

Venny

There are two things I would draw to your attention

1. The image is leaning to the right. It needs to be straightened by rotating it counter-clockwise. This leads to a question about whether you are shooting in RAW or JPEG format and what post-processing software you have available to you. Do you consider yourself knowledgeable about post-processing or would you describe yourself as a beginner?
    2. The second point is that there is a very big range of light in the picture. The foreground is under-exposed and the top left-hand portion of the sky is extremely over-exposed. This requires balancing out in order to give you a more balanced image. This can either be done at the time you capture the image using filters on the lens, or by you shooting a number of frames of the exact same scene (for which you require a tripod) at different exposures and then blending them in your computer afterwards.

Both of these approaches are explained well in tutorials on CiC.

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

Thanks for your comments Donald,

I will work on my images to be straightened. I use Raw+Jpeg Fine. For post-processing software, I am using adobe photoshop CS5.
    I can humbly say that I have moderate skill on that, but of course I need lot & lots of practice in using good photo technique as this is my first community in photography since me & my husband moved to Dubai.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Looks like an interesting shot, Venny. Do you have any available software for editing that can help you correct some of the problems with the image? There seems to be a magenta color cast on the image so a slight white balance correction could probably help. The shot is also sloping down to the right so a little straightening could go a long way to improve this. The left part of the sky is blown out. We can't do much about it on the post processing since we cannot recover much on those areas.

What I would probably recommend as an additional edit would be to introduce 2 kinds of adjustment:

1. Use a post-edit graduated filter effect on the upper part of the image to lower down the brightness and the exposure values.

2. Introduce another adjustment just on the lower part of the image to increase the exposure and brightness level so the foreground would be our main element.

These adjustments can be done with ease using photoshop or lightroom if you can have the chance to use one. I could probably post a quick edit if you would allow it. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Venny

You are very welcome.

As I have said before, CiC is very much about learning and each of helping colleagues to develop their skills.

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

Thanks Jiro, really apprecciate....
    I will also work in my photoshop but you are welcome to post a quick-edit. Doso...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Vbraun Koe View Post
    Thanks Jiro, really apprecciate....
    I will also work in my photoshop but you are welcome to post a quick-edit. Doso...
    Domo, Venny. Here's one of the many possible ways to edit your image. Thanks for allowing me to work on it.

Twilight in Jakarta

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Domo, Venny. Here's one of the many possible ways to edit your image. Thanks for allowing me to work on it.

Twilight in Jakarta
    The edited photo by Jiro shows the lost ground that nice PP can recover. The vividness of colours is so superb in the edit!
    Best wishes!

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

That is cool Btw, what do you mean by post-edit graduated filter effect? is it the filter that I've made bt myself or can i apply on gadient in the adjustment layer

Real Name

That is cool Btw, what do you mean by post-edit graduated filter effect? is it the filter that I've made bt myself or can i apply on gadient in the adjustment layer
    Let's say you have already done the basic correction adjustment on the image. If you think the sky still looks too bright and too dominating, you can apply a colored gradient effect on it to further adjust its contrast and exposure. In Lightroom (which is equivalent to Camera RAW in photoshop CS5) just access the graduated filter command and you can use this to introduce this effect on the image. Hope this helps, Venny.

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

Aso, Now I get it will try to upload other images again tomorrow, terimakasih

Real Name

Aso, Now I get it will try to upload other images again tomorrow, terimakasih
    I think "terima kasih" is Malay. Anata wa kangei ****e iru. Hahaha! CiC is filtering the word "sh**". I'd say "You're welcome, Venny."

Real Name
    Venny ME Braun

No probleme I am by origin Indonesian and malay or Melayu is our root anyway.

Real Name

No probleme I am by origin Indonesian and malay or Melayu is our root anyway.
    I had the feeling that you are when I saw your avatar image. sama-sama.