Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wells Cathedral

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Wells Cathedral

Another B & W experiment, this time with an HDR treatment. Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Wells Cathedral

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Wells Cathedral

Sorry Chris, but this, what I call, overcooked application of HDR processes, doesn't light my fire. I acknowledge that's purely personal taste and that many people do like the style and approach.

As for the image behind the effect, I like it. I think it is good to include the buildings alongside the cathedral and not just the facade itself. it gives us context and scale and puts the cathedral in its environment. And your inclusion of people going about their business and relaxing gives us (well, me anyway) a sense of this being a working building that is just part of the community for people who live there.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Interesting Donald - the HDR edit was quite limited. I don't use HDR very often and I know a lot of people really don't like it but it sometimes helps salvage what would be otherwise be for the recycle bin. For those who don't like HDR I have posted the original colour version below.

Wells Cathedral

Aperture: f/22 Exposure: 1/30 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Abhi

Hi Chris,

I really like the colour version. The building pops out nicely against the blue sky. The BW version, I feel, needs some pp to separate the sky from the ground and the building.

Real Name
    Mike

Ummm... the way you framed it, Chris... the color version looks good. I'd probably say if I was going to do this in B&W, I would get closer and focus on the architecture and details of the building. Just my 2 cents.

Real Name
    Paul

Chris, great building to photograph. I have to agree the color is better, as the B&W looks a bit overcooked. I also use HDR very little, and find less is better when I do use it. I hope you don't mind but I had a quick play to see if I could cook it less. I still like the non HDR version better but here is my go. Mostly done for my own learning.

Wells Cathedral

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your comments guys.

Mike - below is a cropped version to get closer to the architecture, which I think is what you are suggesting and I think is an improvement on my original, although I have to say that I too prefer the colour version, but an interesting experiment nonetheless.

Paul - It is hard to see a difference between your HDR version and my original B & W before I did the HDR edit, but thanks for trying.

Wells Cathedral

Real Name
    neil

hmmm... to be frank I think the HDR/Colour discussion is missing the point for me. I think the main issue is the composition. The facade of the building is so big and square it needed shooting either from a 90% perpendicular angle or from something a bit more extreme. The slight angle just bothers me a bit. Just my personal view of course, not saying that is correct! The overall scene is nice and has potential with the people walking and sitting but I think the composition is a bit lacking. neil

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Neil

The second paragraph of my post above did offer c & c is respect of the image behind the HDR.

Real Name
    Ben

Perhaps I have unusual taste (compared to the previous posters) but I like your original B&W version. It is very reminiscent of a 1920's picture postcard.

Real Name
    John

It's a dramatic looking structure and the high key sort of takes away from that. Otherwise both color and black and white are very interesting.

Hi,
    The colours are there.You must dig only a few
    Wells Cathedral(worked for You w.PSE)
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 14th April 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Interesting colours - a bit to strong for my taste I'm afraid.