Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Leaning nail

Real Name
    Karan Chaudhary

Leaning nail

Kashmeer, my friend helped me in getting this shot. While he released the nail, I clicked. We were able to get this shot after 7-8 failed attempts.

Leaning nail

(Couldn't find a cleaner nail.)

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Leaning nail

Namaste, Karan. The idea of the shot is interesting. I would assume that this was more of a practice on timing. I think you did great. On the more serious side of photography, I was hoping that the nail would be more in focus than the rest of the image. Nice work, if I may say.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Karen

Clever idea. There is a bit of motion blur at the head of the nail. So, if you'd wanted to get it sharp, you'd have had to up the shutter speed. Also, I think I might have moved a couple of paces to the left to do it. There are a couple of light coloured 'things' bottom right that are distracting.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th April 2011 at 07:36 AM.

Real Name
    Karan Chaudhary

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Karen

Clever idea. There is a bit of motion blur at the head of the nail. So, if you'd wanted to get it sharp, you'd have had to up the shutter speed. Also, I think I might have moved a couple of paces to the left to do it. There are a couple of light coloured 'things' bottom right that are distracting.
    Yes, high tangential velocity of the head (due to it distance from the pivot point) did make the head blur. And I did try higher shutter speeds, but then the picture darkens. So I increase ISO, then noise happens! So, I was kind of stuck, what to do?!!! And moving to left would have decreased the blur, right?

(still learning...!!! )

Real Name
    Karan Chaudhary

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Namaste, Karan. The idea of the shot is interesting. I would assume that this was more of a practice on timing. I think you did great. On the more serious side of photography, I was hoping that the nail would be more in focus than the rest of the image. Nice work, if I may say.
    Namaste, to you too, jiro.

Thanks for liking the idea. Well, I wasn't really practicing on timing, but thought that it would give a good shot (but it isn't that good). Focus indeed is missing. Head blurred. May be background should be something else, what say?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolle View Post
    Namaste, to you too, jiro.

Thanks for liking the idea. Well, I wasn't really practicing on timing, but thought that it would give a good shot (but it isn't that good). Focus indeed is missing. Head blurred. May be background should be something else, what say?
    Try using a black or white cardboard as a background and shoot again.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

A flash may help greatly although the synchronization speed might have to be quite high.

Not really in the spirit of the thing, but did you consider cheating and using a black thread glued to the nail then cloning it out in post processing? You can think of it as artful manipulation of reality if that makes you feel better!

Real Name
    Karan Chaudhary

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Not really in the spirit of the thing, but did you consider cheating and using a black thread glued to the nail then cloning it out in post processing? You can think of it as artful manipulation of reality if that makes you feel better!
    Thanks for the advice, but that would take away the very gist of the concept.