Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Light from that window, again - yikes, yikes, yikity, yikes!

Light from that window, again - yikes, yikes, yikity, yikes!

My husband and boys like this one the best but, I don't think that it looks anything like...how do I know? (they probably like it because it's the one in color)

Soft focus?

I think that this is a self portrait (or "selfie" is what they call them in blog land.) Wirefox assures me that if I did 95% of the work with a photo, then, it's mine. I had to use my husband as a tripod and remote shutter release (and only had two minutes of his time.) I twiddled in what I wanted, chose the spot told him to hold that camera at this angle and focus on my eye. Then, afterwards, I saw all of the mistakes that I'd made. (Thank you photo shop!) Lots of stray hairs, distracting background and worst of all, the glare from the window on the side took a wee bite out of the right (our left) side of my irises. Can you tell? I'm, also, wondering about the clarity. Maybe, each of them has camera shake but the eye that's in the light is suffering, also, from dof issues and, is that an oops?

Well, in any case, I'm, actually, happy enough with them.

Gentle C&C, please - you know...
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 11th April 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Light from that window, again - yikes, yikes, yikity, yikes!

I like the first 2. The color one is how I remember you looking, well, I remember your hair curlier. Your right eye could be a bit more in focus, but I like them. It's you. And, if YOU are happy with them, then that's good. Your husband did great.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I think the problem is with the tripod and not the shots. Just kidding. Cropping - check. Composition - check. catchlights - check. Focus - uhhh....

Real Name

Are they in a different order now, or am I nuts? I like the color one and the close crop BW. I could swear the order was different.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Are they in a different order now, or am I nuts? I like the color one and the close crop BW. I could swear the order was different.
    And they tried to tell us it was just tea that they has when they met up. Huh!!

But I agree about the order of preference.

I like the pose on the colour one. It is of someone going forward, ready to take things on. It's a strong image.

The first B & W is very different. It's of someone holding back. And the lighting isn't as pleasant.

But the 3rd one gets me right up close to and I feel we're being permitted to see behind the eyes, more deeply into the person.

Yes, they're in a different order - sorry 'bout that.

Thanks, thanks, thanks - Jiro and Mary! I had to figure the composition out with too many botched attempts with the self timer on a real tripod - urgh!!! Part of the problem could have been me moving a little. (It was very rushed)

Mary, I got a "Susan Sarandon" cut, although, it doesn't look like it from this angle. and, lastly, I don't remember my nose being as big as it is in the color one - it feels like it has that fish bowl look. Well, we're always the most critical of ourselves.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Yes, they're in a different order - sorry 'bout that.

Thanks, thanks, thanks - Jiro and Mary! I had to figure the composition out with too many botched attempts with the self timer on a real tripod - urgh!!! Part of the problem could have been me moving a little. (It was very rushed)

Mary, I got a "Susan Sarandon" cut, although, it doesn't look like it from this angle. and, lastly, I don't remember my nose being as big as it is in the color one - it feels like it has that fish bowl look. Well, we're always the most critical of ourselves.
    I don't remember your nose being that big, either. Your nose isn't big, silly. Yes, we are the most critical of ourselves. They turned out great.

Real Name
    Kay

Hello there - these are very nice
    I love the pose and the expression and the framing on # 3
    maybe on this one, the ever so slightly softer further away eye gets my attention when it shouldn't.....
    But it all works really well on the colour one

Well done you for doing these and sharing them

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...But I agree about the order of preference.

I like the pose on the colour one. It is of someone going forward, ready to take things on. It's a strong image.

The first B & W is very different. It's of someone holding back. And the lighting isn't as pleasant.
    Goodness, Donald! There's an insight! That's why I don't like the color one. Even when I'm "going forward" I'm shy. So,... people like the pose and "stance" of the colored version because, partly, they like the attitude but I like the first one because it's "me". Also, when I'm more outgoing - I have teeth in my smile. I've heard Colin talk about how what the model likes and what everyone else likes can be SO different.

But the 3rd one gets me right up close to and I feel we're being permitted to see behind the eyes, more deeply into the person.
    And, then, this one is TOTALLY me and, so, I don't care if it's blurred!

I had just a typical crop on this one - somewhere between the other two. It was, indeed, blurry and wasn't holding mustard. (Is that the right "saying".) I'd seen another "self portrait" of a photographer, in a book that I'd just gotten, that was absolutely GORGEOUS but a bit blurry and, although very different, cropped in tighter. It was the same idea and I thought to try this - plus, the box for the jpeg on my desktop "cropped" the photo a bit, too. THE POINT IS, I always start out with, say, three photos of the same thing - taken in the same way and i have to challenge myself to think differently. Different color - different crop - different angle and, in the first, shy one - I pulled out the shadows more (different PP).

I don't remember your nose being that big, either. Your nose isn't big, silly. Yes, we are the most critical of ourselves. They turned out great.
    Oh, goodness, Mary, what a chuckly giggle I got out of this!

Hello there - these are very nice
    I love the pose and the expression and the framing on # 3
    maybe on this one, the ever so slightly softer further away eye gets my attention when it shouldn't.....
    But it all works really well on the colour one

Well done you for doing these and sharing them
    Thanks, Kay, for coming and looking and commenting!

It's a funny thing. I thought that the first was, possibly, the sharpest. Hmmm.

It's, also, a funny thing about taking them and sharing them. Normally, I feel like I'm being electrocuted when I get my pic taken. But, on the day, this was the photo that I had in my sights and sharing them feels like I'm just sharing a flower pic.

edit: Yes! Okay! The moment of posting was definitely a "yikes", though. =]

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...But the 3rd one gets me right up close to and I feel we're being permitted to see behind the eyes, more deeply into the person.
    ...And, then, this one is TOTALLY me and, so, I don't care if it's blurred!...
    Hello Katy How are you ?

In MHO Donald and yourself made the right choice for the best image.

In fact, the last image shows more of yourself even being slightly blurred, it is your best portrait as you say yourself.

Looking at it at a smaller size the soft focus is not so pronounced as you can see here.

Good work Katy Cheers

Thank you, Antonio! If you say it's okay, well, then....I'll breathe!

If it's not too silly, Donald, I took your advice about the lighting on the first one. Pulling the black back, I think, changed it a bit. My eyes aren't peering out from shadow. Well, I still like this one second best. And, now.... I really am getting embarrassed. but, I've learned. Thanks, again, all!

edit: hmmmm! of course, Antonio, you could be going very easy on me - I don't think that I'll complain, though. I've heard you say similar things. =]
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 13th April 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you, Antonio! If you say it's okay, well, then....I'll breathe!...edit: hmmmm! of course, Antonio, you could be going very easy on me - I don't think that I'll complain, though. I've heard you say similar things. =]