Thread: Fisher Boy

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Fisher Boy

Another one of my Derwen water images

Fisher Boy

Re: Fisher Boy

Mick

Great mood in this shot. I do think that it needs a crop though. The clutter around the last two posts on the left is distracting. I think you could crop and still retain the peak on the left with some sympathetic PP. It would also place the jetty in the left third. The present composition ignores the rule of thirds and whilst that is fine in sone images I do think this one needs to comply. Cropping left would also allow you to shave a touch off the bottom so placing the waterline centrally The layered effect of the fells in the background is very nice. Having spent a considerable amount of time working and playing in Cumbria I can testify that this image really captures the essence of the place.

I had to look at your horizons twice but the water surface is actually dead on horizontal. There are a couple of floaters to clone out; one white and dead centre. The other black just above and to the right of the white thingy.

A very nice image though and you must have been very pleased with the shot

Real Name
    Chris

A third look would have been better...and I suppose it is because on a daily basis, I look at upward of 85 to 100 student photos, that I can almost instantly see a horizon slightly askew...(and, I've even missed them in my own work, so it is not necessarily an easy task). The print is just a tad off line, but when I did the skew in PS and did your (Steve's) suggested crops, clones and other whatnots, I have to tell you there is a very nice shot hiding in there.

Fisher Boy

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Thanks Steve & Chris, here`s the cropped version which I have added to my file.
    Fisher Boy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick J S View Post
    Thanks Steve & Chris, here`s the cropped version which I have added to my file.
    Fisher Boy
    Looks better to me, Mick. Nice edit.

Real Name
    Chris

I think the leveling and cropping work, but I still think you can go a lot further with this image. I fiddled yet one more time with a sharpening, a layer set to 24% overlay, a color balance where, I went to the blue side...and yours is decidedly more toward the magenta side...I wanted the lake to reflect a truer color...you, of course get to do as you wish. I can think of a multitude of layer edits you could make to further refine...this is the kind of image that makes for a great practice platform. I have oodles of them and they are all in the Mini Comps - some much more successful than others, but all the while learning.

Fisher Boy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I think the leveling and cropping work, but I still think you can go a lot further with this image. I fiddled yet one more time with a sharpening, a layer set to 24% overlay, a color balance where, I went to the blue side...and yours is decidedly more toward the magenta side...I wanted the lake to reflect a truer color...you, of course get to do as you wish. I can think of a multitude of layer edits you could make to further refine...this is the kind of image that makes for a great practice platform. I have oodles of them and they are all in the Mini Comps - some much more successful than others, but all the while learning.

Fisher Boy
    I concur.

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Thanks Guys, I am learnig more every time I visit this site, Great,

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

You got a very nice image there.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

A good image improved with the leveling and cropping - nice one.

Real Name
    Paul

great image as above improved with the levelling and cropping