Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bisham Church - Version 2

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Bisham Church - Version 2

You may remember I recently posted an earlier version of this. The comments I received back were most helpful, however I felt that the only way forward with this scene was to go back and retake the shot. I did this and purposely kept the bush in but more to the right so as not to to get in the way of the Church or its reflection in the water.

My reason for posting again is to ask for views on the colour of the sky and the river. To get the most out of the sky I have used the Graduated Filter Tool in ACR and then applied a little to the water to match. My question is does it look natural? It should be borne in mind that the sky is affected by pollution, which is highly visible in sunshine, which I have tried to get rid of. Your comments would be gratefully receive.

Re: Bisham Church - Version 2

Hi, Chris! I enjoyed and learned from your last thread with this scene. That's super that you went back for another go. Hopefully, someone with more experience and with a calibrated monitor will jump in and specifically answer your question. I wouldn't have noticed it except that I looked closer because you mentioned it. The clouds do look a little strangely tinted - MAYBE. The morning sun is coming through the window, here, too; so, really....maybe. Anyway, the reason I bothered responding is because I do like this composition (I see that you've shifted to the left) and I wanted to ask at what time of day you took this photo.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Hi Katy - Thanks for your comment. I forgot to post the relevant exif. information - this shot was taken at 3.08 pm on a sunny but slightly hazy afternoon. I had hoped I had managed to remove any colour cast but as am not 100% sure of the calibration of my monitor it is difficult to be sure. I am glad you like this image.

Oh, duh! I forgot that I could look for the exif info. I do like it and I'm still hoping that someone else will come along and answer your question.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As CiC's resident in-house colour-blind photographer, I'm not the one to comment on subtle colour casts or the absence of them. So, I'll stick to composition, lines, shapes, tones and textures.

I think I like this one more than the first version (Scrub that. That's not right) [I'm flicking between both as I write].

They are different - which is a rather stupid and obvious thing to say.

What's attracting me to this image is that it has, I think, a stronger narrative. And that is caused by us seeing more of the path on this side and, I think, we can see another building away along to teh left on the opposite bank. So, there's a mroe complete 'story' in this version.

And I still don't mind the bush being there. I think it is an important element in the picture.

Chris I did think it had a pinkish tinge to the sky but on checking the colour channels it proves not (if you can believe GIMP). I think the pink dink is probably a trick of the chromatic aberration in the background trees. This is a pleasant shot but I would be very temped to go back in the golden hours if I were you (sorry I know this is your second visit). This type of subject matter shot in flat sunlight is unlikely to inspire the viewer regardless of the composition - which is fine I hasten to add - not such a fan of the bush though...that came out all wrong I should have said not such a fan of the vegetation

Real Name
    Paul

I missed the first version but this one is rather nice. As Donald says there is a narrative quality to it and the composition is nicely balanced. As far as colours I think the water might have a slight magenta cast but if you hadn't mentioned colour I possibly wouldn't have noticed and it doesn't disturb. Looking closer I think the sky might tend a little towards the magenta as well, opened this in Photoshop and with Filter->Average->Blur there it is. Not much to disturb but gentle application of a green filter or moving the hue slightly towards the green in ACR would lose it and probably boost your greens to boot.

Donald colour blind -- that explains his penchant for the monochrome I guess

Paul

It didn't do much when I adjusted the green channel perhaps I did not go far enough. I didn't risk a slight clip but on second view it could probably stand it. If you cover the background trees with your hand there is no perceptible cast in the sky at least.

Donald colour blind
    He the one with the pink kilt and yellow shirt You would not know it from his rare colour shots though.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for all your valuable comments. I think Steve is quite right and another visit is called for to get the light right. I have has another go at this one, which I think is an improvement.