Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 1Ds Mk II or 5D Mk 1

Real Name
    Russell

1Ds Mk II or 5D Mk 1

Hi, just some thoughts please, I am going to buy a FF camera but cannot afford a new one so my options are the Canon 1Ds MkII or the 5D Mk1, looking at them online the 1Ds seems or looks to be a better build although heavier than the 5D as I use a tripod on most of my shots the weight would not really be a problem. Most of my photograhic attempts are sea/lasndscape.
    If it was your choice with a budget of £1000 what would you go for.
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Robin

Re: 1Ds Mk II or 5D Mk 1

Eos 7d

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Russell,

The 5D was a great camera, but technology wise it the full frame equivalent of a 20D, which is pretty dated.

The 1Ds series is a different league (I shoot with a 1Ds3) - they have superior weather sealing - a seperate CPU for the AF - more metering zones - more AF points - dual media - more rugged construction - longer battery life - many more firmware options. I'd take the 1Ds2 in a heartbeat.

Real Name
    Troy

Also take into consideration these:
    1. The sensor on the 5D is identical to the one in the 1Ds2. If anything, the 5D has slightly greater dynamic range in higher ISOs.
    2. The 1Ds2 is, on average, two times the price of the 5D. ($2000 vs $1000).

For $1000 you are essentially deciding between these two
    1. "superior weather sealing - a seperate CPU for the AF - more metering zones - more AF points - dual media - more rugged construction - longer battery life - many more firmware options." -Colin
    2. $1000 worth of lenses.

Hope this helps

P.S. sorry for using US currency, but it's really just about proportionalities.
    Last edited by pwnage101; 7th April 2011 at 07:14 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Also take into consideration these:
    1. The sensor on the 5D is identical to the one in the 1Ds2.
    Umm, no. The sensor on the 1Ds2 is 16.7MP -v- 12.8 on the 5D.

I think one would get a 1Ds2 for under USD 2k if one shopped around as well ... we're not seeing a heck of a lot more than that for 1Ds3's at the moment.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 7th April 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Real Name
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Umm, no. The sensor on the 1Ds2 is 16.7MP -v- 12.8 on the 5D.
    Which is, after all, only 1.14 times larger. To me, "only"; to others, "a staggering". I am in no way professional, and my 10mp camera does very well for facebook

I think one would get a 1Ds2 for under USD 2k if one shopped around as well
    Hmm, I haven't been following any auctions, but it seems that the 1Ds2's are selling for under $1500 USD. Are you seeing the same thing?

Real Name

Which is, after all, only 1.14 times larger.
    Umm, no. 1.3047 times larger (1+((16.7-12.8)/12.8)) = 1.3047

To me, "only"; to others, "a staggering". I am in no way professional, and my 10mp camera does very well for facebook
    I don't dispute it for a moment ... just pointing out that they're not the same sensor

Hmm, I haven't been following any auctions, but it seems that the 1Ds2's are selling for under $1500 USD. Are you seeing the same thing?
    I don't really follow them to be honest, all I know is that - in NZD - we're seeing figures like $3500 for 1Ds3 trade ins.

Real Name
    Troy

I should have mentioned I was comparing dimensions, not area.

Real Name

I should have mentioned I was comparing dimensions, not area.
    Yes, but there's 2 dimensions, so you have to multiply both together

Real Name
    Troy

Yes, but there's 2 dimensions, so you have to multiply both together
    One tends to compare two homes with their volumes, or two lenses with their focal lengths. There is a multitude of ways to compare any given thing, but we tend to use the convention. Like computer screens and television sets, photographs are measured using only one dimension. Naming the diagonal of a TV is no different than naming both dimensions of an image since they form a right triangle with all sides proportional. A rectangle with four times the area is said to be twice the size.

Remember, the aspect ratio is predetermined so the "other" dimension is implicit.

It was only with the introduction of digital photography that megapixels became a common marketing gimmick.
    Last edited by pwnage101; 7th April 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Firstly thanks for the replies although some of it seems a bit to techie for me. I have been watching on good old ebay and the 1Ds MkII seems to be selling at my budget of £1000 (USD approx 1600), I don't even mind the scuffs on the paintwork as at the end of the day I would rather have a better condition inside, it was one of the things I did notice about the 5D it does look IMO a lot like the 2oD I started with body wise. Think I am leaning towards the 1Ds MkII not because it has a few MP's more but it does look a more solid camera, the problem I have is there is nowhere here on the island that I could even go to see the two for comparison (in the flesh).
    Again
    Thanks.
    Russ

Real Name

One tends to compare two homes with their volumes, or two lenses with their focal lengths. There is a multitude of ways to compare any given thing, but we tend to use the convention. Like computer screens and television sets, photographs are measured using only one dimension. Naming the diagonal of a TV is no different than naming both dimensions of an image since they form a right triangle with all sides proportional. A rectangle with four times the area is said to be twice the size.

Remember, the aspect ratio is predetermined so the "other" dimension is implicit.

It was only with the introduction of digital photography that megapixels became a common marketing gimmick.
    I agree; the difference in max image size between even an 8MP sensor and a 16MP one is approximately nothing. None-the-less, MP count comparison are still a comparison of the amount of information captured though.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, OK I have the chance of a 1Ds Mk II with only 10 yes TEN shutter activations, it is old display stock and the price £1,100. The faults if you can call them that is that the some of the body near the grip has been marked by being in the direct sunlight in a cabinet and there is nothing else available ie. battery,charger etc etc just the body, are the batteries/chargers easy to buy in the UK? Any opinions on the purchase please?
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Any opinions on the purchase please?
    Sounds pretty good to me.