Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon EF 400mm F 2.8 IS II USM

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

Canon EF 400mm F 2.8 IS II USM

HI:

Anybody are now using this len?
    There is almost none reviews about it elsewhere.
    I know, it is a high end lens which professional buy it knowing it what it is and why they need it. So, reviews is not necessary to them indeed.
    Just want to see what kind of situation people are using it.
    Like, Places: indoor? Outdoor?
    Kinds of photo: sport, wildlife?
    Of course photos showing the final effects on people will be excellent too.

See....

Bill

Re: Canon EF 400mm F 2.8 IS II USM

That must be the new model with IS. I heard about it but I didn't know it was currently available.

The old 400 without IS has been a great favourite with wildlife photographers for many years.

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    That must be the new model with IS. I heard about it but I didn't know it was currently available.

The old 400 without IS has been a great favourite with wildlife photographers for many years.
    The original EF 400mm f/2.8 without IS was first released in 1991. The IS model was released 8 years later in 1999 and and has been a very popular lens for both sports and wildlife, although an extremely bulky lens. They just announced the EF 400mm f/2.8 IS mk II last September but didn't actually release it until a couple of weeks ago, which is why there are no reviews on it yet. The biggest thing that Canon did to improve the lens was the weight and bulk of the lens, although the optics are superior as well. The original IS model weighed in at almost 12 lbs. making it the heaviest L lens even over the 800mm f/5.6 the just released mk II weighs in at around 8.5 pounds making it much easier to handle and use. Give a couple of months and I think there should be some reviews written on the new mk II. I can only imagine that it's an absolutely phenomenal lens knowing that the 1999 model had one of the best reputations in the L super telephotos. Anyway... hope that helps.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

I got the same message about the latest mkII too.
    it is the latest lens, that's why I still want to see who is using the past 400mm f/2.8.
    We got so many people already involved in wildwife and outside sport - soocer, car racing...... the F 2.8 definitely is more than they need in outdoor.
    Have some interest to see why so little people involve in indoor ice rink. Is it the price of the 400mm f2.8 keep people away while people can enjoy 100-400mm f 5.6 etc with much less price amd can have more flexibility in both wildlife and outside sport.!
    If it is the case, very likely figure skating photography must be a very lonely road!!

Real Name
    Joshua S.

B&H had them in stock for a brief moment yesterday. They are gone today. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_2_8L_IS.html

You can rent 'em here. http://www.hawaiicamera.com/rent/can....8l-is-ii/oahu

I am interested to see how the weight savings translates to easier handling overall. The previous version was, I believe, nearly 12 pounds, and this one weights in at 8 1/2.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

well, luckily, I am in North America which drive to the place to shot - the ice rink.
    Even luckier, I am not shoting wildlife, natural scene......
    so, I am ready for every pound being added on my shoulder or the tripod! We understand that the weight come from the frame and the heavy glasses. Not any sand or rock inside!!
    I rather interest in seeing how the performance of the latest lens.
    let's see.