Real Name
    james

turkey season

turkey seasonturkey season55/250 kit lense 90 to 100 meters

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: turkey season

James

I think the second one is much better exposed than the first.

The challenge with something like this is to decide what it is we're aiming achieve. Is it a picture of a turkey, or is it a picture of a turkey in its environment, so as to make some sort of statement about where it lives. Because the one key decision that has to be made is how large in the frame do you want/need the main subject to be?

In both of these, we have a lot of grass a lot of trees, but not a lot of turkey. So, it's about makign that judegment. If this was to be a picture of a turkey, I think it probably needs to occupy a significantly greater percentage of the whole image than it currently does. That's why you see these wildlife folks going around with these mighty bits of glass that I would need machinery to help me lift .... or you need a very friendly turkey who'll let you get up nice and close.

Real Name
    james

I knew I didnt have enough lens for the shot I wanted,I was hoping to crop it but wasnt happy with it. I got so excited about him I cant believe I got my camera out of the bag much less operate it .I failed with this,using hindsight I wish I would of risked spooking the turkey in order to acheive the composition I really wanted. Thanks Donald I realize now the challenge or difficulty of shot doesnt make up for a poor image.

Real Name
    Richard

After trying my hand rather unsuccessfully at attempting to get a decent image of a male gobbler like this, I can appreciate this shot. The big birds are illusive beasts and are quite wary and can be spooked easily. There are some areas in State and Federal Parks in which turkeys are "slightly" less wary but, they are still hard to capture. The male gobblers are the most illusive...

Probably the best way to capture them is with some sort of a blind (or hide as I think it is called in U.K. speak) and by baiting them with some type of attractive food...

BTW: As an aside; Benjamin Franklin was in favor of the turkey as our national symbol rather than the bald eagle. As much as I like and respect turkeys, I prefer the eagle as our emblem just as I believe our British cousins would prefer their Bulldog over a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as a national emblem...

Real Name
    james

I vote for turkey... in a pot pie !

Real Name
    Tim

I would have taken these pictures, then waited for the bird to wander into full sun. In sun, the colors on these birds are glorious.