Thread: New Tutorial: Portrait Lighting, Part 2 - Adding a Fill Light

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

New Tutorial: Portrait Lighting, Part 2 - Adding a Fill Light

This isn't yet public on the main site, but you can access it via the direct link below:

Portrait Lighting, Part 2: Adding a Fill Light

This article covers the influence of the fill light ratio and fill light placement, amongst other topics. If you haven't seen it already, also see the background article entitled introduction to portrait lighting (with one light source).

New Tutorial: Portrait Lighting, Part 2 - Adding a Fill Light New Tutorial: Portrait Lighting, Part 2 - Adding a Fill Light

As usual, please let me know if you feel anything is unclear, if you notice any typos, or just want to add something from your own experience.

I'm still debating whether to give reflectors a more thorough treatment, or to make that the focus of a separate article later on (so that part may change).

Many thanks!
    Last edited by McQ; 7th April 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: New Tutorial: Portrait Lighting, Part 2 - Adding a Fill Light

Great write up again, Sean. One suggestion (though I'm not sure if this would help ).

- On the accompanied images, I would probably put the phrase "Move your mouse over the selections above to see this effect." ahead of all the explanation so the viewers can play around with it intuitively while browsing through the explanation. I usually do that whenever I read tutorial files (Sorry, I usually read fast then when I got the idea I start to re-read later.) Just a thought. Thanks for doing these set of tutorials, it really helps the CiC community. Cheers!

Real Name
    Remco

Nice article again, Sean

Just two nits:
    - the link at the end, supposed to refer to part one of Portrait lighting, actually points to the Part two I'm reading;
    - and you talk about them as tutorials, while they are listed under the 'techniques' section (not sure how to solve that one).

Thanks a lot for all your work in CiC,

Remco

Real Name
    Rob

Man, I love this site! This is just the subject I was looking for some more help in. I like the use of the 3D model - it almost makes the article feel like it's destined for a text book. It does a great job of illustrating the article, even if she freaks me out a bit. Thanks for getting this one up!

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    - the link at the end, supposed to refer to part one of Portrait lighting, actually points to the Part two I'm reading;
    Thanks, that's been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    - and you talk about them as tutorials, while they are listed under the 'techniques' section (not sure how to solve that one).
    Yes, I'm not 100% happy with the organization. Once I have some more articles I plan on reorganizing everything since the lists are getting a bit long.

Thanks for the feedback!

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    - On the accompanied images, I would probably put the phrase "Move your mouse over the selections above to see this effect." ahead of all the explanation so the viewers can play around with it intuitively while browsing through the explanation. I usually do that whenever I read tutorial files (Sorry, I usually read fast then when I got the idea I start to re-read later.) Just a thought.
    Thanks for the feedback. Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting moving that phrase from the end of the paragraph below the fill light location example, so that it becomes below the images? Something like an image caption, just above the image notes in small font?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by McQ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting moving that phrase from the end of the paragraph below the fill light location example, so that it becomes below the images? Something like an image caption, just above the image notes in small font?
    Yes, Sir.