Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sorrow in black and white version.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Sorrow in black and white version.

Kindly click the image to see the bigger picture. Thank you very much for viewing.

Sorrow in black and white version.

Straight conversion to black and white using Lightroom then exported to Photoshop to apply selective dodging and burning. What I did is to make a new layer on top of the background (the black and white image) and fill this new layer with 50% gray. Then by setting this layer to OVERLAY blending mode, I can now selectively dodge and burn any part of the image using the brush tool on this new layer. White for dodging and black for burning. Normal setting of the brush would be OPACITY = 100% and FLOW = 3%. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Re: Sorrow in black and white version.

the conversion looks good, but what I'm much more interested in is the story behind this shot. Would you mind sharing it...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    the conversion looks good, but what I'm much more interested in is the story behind this shot. Would you mind sharing it...
    Hello Jeroen, this image is a part of a set when my family visited the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. After the visit on the compound, the kids asked us to see the Wax Works inside Ripley's Believe It Or Not building. I believe the artist is Louis Tussaud. This is a wax figure of Mary, the Mother of Jesus. It was lighted using a small high power tungsten light so when I tried to go natural without a flash the shot was really awful with this very saturated orange cast. To compensate, I tried to activate the built-in flash on my Nikon D70 even though I know that it will look awful also with the in your face flash type of shot. However, by dialing in a negative compensation, I was able to preserve some detail on the texture and overpower the orange cast a bit. The best compromise was using a -1.3 EV on the flash. This one is a head shot as the was figure is life size.

This is one of the shots I took of this scene. Sorrow in black and white version.

I haven't processed this yet.

Real Name
    Jeroen

You dealt with the conditions very well. At first I thought it was a real nun, so therefore my interest in the story. But regardless of the subject, the lighting is great.