Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Here are some more roses and a snowball for Elise

Real Name
    Chris

Here are some flowers for everyone.

Managed some actions, and all kinds of other stuff...got to go to the Day Lily Farm to play.

This one is called "Rob's Rose" after an action he sent me.

Here are some more roses and a snowball for Elise

White Tea Rose

And a Snowball...I am sure there is a nice botanical name somewhere. This photo is for all the Vermont & New hamshire folks still digging out.

Last edited by MiniChris; 3rd April 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Here are some flowers for everyone.

Awesome set of floral shots, Chris. You and your D7000 is really getting along pretty well after the check-up.

Real Name
    Chris

It astounds me as to how much better it shoots. Focus is spot on every time and the white balance is almost perfect. I have to d overy little PP with htis new setup.

Real Name
    Elise

Beautiful -- just gorgeous. Though I think that first one has a bit of a pinkish cast to it . . .

Thank you for thinking of me!

(don't quote me on it, but I think the bottom one is a hydrangea.)

Real Name
    Chris

I think that pinkish cast comes from Rob's Velvia treatment. I will go back and take a look at the original a little closer and see what i find. I liked the effect, but also wondered if it wasn't too much. Snowball is what they called it, so in a few, I will send a hydrangea (shot one of them as well) and we'll compare.

Chris

The first shot is beautiful. The lighting gives so much depth to the structure of the rose head. It is interesting you have used Velvia film effect as part of the processing here. I am finding I am using it more and more particularly as a part of the b/w conversion process. I think this shot has the same feel of quality that is inherent Rob's work. certainly something to strive for.......but you got there before me

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Beautiful -- just gorgeous. Though I think that first one has a bit of a pinkish cast to it . . .

The Snowball plant (which I am sure is a very close relative of the Hydrangea) is a six petal flower while the hydrangea only sports five petals. You'd never notice the difference from a passing pony unless you took a closer look at the leaf structure between the two plants. The Hydrangea has strong points on the leaves whereas the Snowball is much smoother...and that, my dear Elise, is just about everything I know to say about these two plants...glad you enjoyed.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post

This is Rob's Rose straight out of ACR - no anything PP to it. I think the pink comes naturally and the process only enhances what's already present.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Chris

The first shot is beautiful. The lighting gives so much depth to the structure of the rose head. It is interesting you have used Velvia film effect as part of the processing here. I am finding I am using it more and more particularly as a part of the b/w conversion process. I think this shot has the same feel of quality that is inherent Rob's work. certainly something to strive for.......but you got there before me
    If it's any compensation, I really just stumbled into to it after watching a lynda.com video on running actions and remembered I had those in place...who'd a thought?

Real Name
    Tim

Yiipes those are nice. We have a few crocuses this weekend. It won't be long before the flowers start coming fast and furious.

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Chris
    I agree with all - they are very lovely, particularly for me the Hydrangea lookalike - but I have to say, I had to recompose myself to stop laughing & look at them clearly after reading your opening line
    I read it as....."Managed some actions, and all kinds of other stuff...to get to go to the Day Lily Farm to play.

My poor wee mind, was just off on a whole new tangent altogether

Real Name
    Chris

The Hydrangea look-alike is called a Snowball Viburnum according to the owners of the Day Lily Farm...what a place..

Real Name
    Elise

Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread -- my husband has had two surgeries in the past three days, and I've been at the hospital, bucking him up (he will be fine).

Um . . . the pink cast was a joke . . . it's a pink flower, isn't it?

Real Name
    Chris

A very pink flower. Sorry about your husband...two surgeries in three days can't be easy, even if small ones. Wish him a speedy recovery.