Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Focus

Real Name
    Chris

Focus

I shot this deliberately in such a fashion as to have only a small bit in sharp focus and the rest out, but not too far out. I'm experimenting with a sorta-kinda "hit 'em in the face" approach of having everything in focus to a minimalist, "KISS" approach...I know there is a happy medium somewhere, but wanted to start running some of these by you guys for opinions...This is the first in a series of five. Each was shot at the same time of day, same camera, lens, and no more than 1/2 to 1 full stop incremental steps. Nikon, D7000 50mm 1.8 lens ISO 320 (not much light and a lot of wind), 1/400 at 5.6.

Focus

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Focus

Chris...I am not really sure why yet...but I kind of like this. I find..though minimalistic, it made my eyes search with intent and intrest.

Real Name
    Mike

I don't know Chris. I have enjoyed your work dealing with mechanical subjects and your work with flora, but this is a little out there for me. I will also point out I am a little lost when it comes to modern art, so my opinion isn't worth much. However, the colour and background are striking....and I have to admit....I am curious about the other four.

Real Name
    Bill S

Chris,

I like the idea, but perhaps not the subject. I totally like the minimalist approach, but I feel this one is so minimalist that there really isn't that *pop* item - even with those two new leaves in focus. Perhaps if the extra leaf at the top wasn't there? I'm not sure.

I love the mix of colors in the stems, but I think the fact that some of them go back out of the frame bugs me.

Now, if you'll just provide your address, I'll put these two pennies in the mail for you...

Oh - is that flash lit or a black background introduced (ie: black card or sheet) or just a naturally black background or PP black background? Inquiring minds want to know!

Looking forward to the other four.

- Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Background is a student holding a black card. These photographs came about as a result of half my class being gone on a trip to NYC and the other half needing something to do that I wouldn't have to reteach to the others. So, I took a rope, 50 feet in length and tied it to the door handle on my back door, then staked out a perimeter and challenged them to find art in their photography with limited space and objects. I joined them as I thought this would be a good exercise.

I gave them black cards (sheets of black foamcore board) and equally sized white cards for reflective fill. I'll share some of their work next week as some of it was quite well done (medium rare in some cases, burned to a crisp in others).

I've cropped this image seventy ways to Sunday and wonder if there isn't one more possibility. The overly yellow leaf at the top may be an issue I have to attend to first...hmmmmmmmm

Real Name
    Chris

One more shot before I declare this one nothing more than a fun learning exercise. Eliminated a sprout or two and gave it a bit of a twist.

Focus

Real Name
    Elise

I don't know, I like these a lot -- they have a lot of movement, to me, and the lighting is great. I do prefer the second one, which feels a little less busy.

Real Name
    Steaphany

I like the black background and how you've executed it.

I've been working on a wild flower series with subjects who are alone, small to miniscule, the kinds of flowers that if you aren't careful you could easily have stepped on the only one in your yard.

I've been shooting these at 200 to 300 mm, but allow the shallow depth of field to isolate one bloom in the scene, leaving the natural colored background as in:

Focus

In this image, I liked how the light and shadow brought out the detail and structure of the bloom which was only about a quarter inch, 6 mm, across.

I'm going to need to get some black foam core.

Real Name
    Chris

This next one I am showing in two crop configurations and one as a B&W. My best friend who is a spectacular painter made some suggestions last night that the longer version's end leaves (right side) provide a nice end to the sentence. My original intent with the crop was to make it less busy, as I did with this last rework above.

Now, to put it to a more critical audience from a photographer's point of view...which works the best?

Focus

Focus

Focus

Real Name
    Chris

Real similar in focal point. I like! Is that a macro 300mm or just a regular 300mm? I've just begun to experiment with using my zoom in unusual ways..obviously, not as designed. I do have a 70-300 macro zoom with the macro side from 180 to 300. Manually focused, it does okay but I've never been overly excited by this lens (Tamron) as it always seems to be soft. I am awaiting a bonus check to buy some Sigma lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    I like the black background and how you've executed it.

I've been working on a wild flower series with subjects who are alone, small to miniscule, the kinds of flowers that if you aren't careful you could easily have stepped on the only one in your yard.

I've been shooting these at 200 to 300 mm, but allow the shallow depth of field to isolate one bloom in the scene, leaving the natural colored background as in:

Focus

In this image, I liked how the light and shadow brought out the detail and structure of the bloom which was only about a quarter inch, 6 mm, across.

I'm going to need to get some black foam core.

Real Name
    Steaphany

This was shot with a Sigma 70-300 mm Macro.

I'm contemplating getting some extension tubes to try macro with my Orion 1250mm f/13.9 ( 90mm Ø ) Maksutov Cassegrain to have a field microscope camera.

Real Name
    Chris

Taking my own cue from another thread, I applied a red (replace color tool) underpainting effect to this image to try to soften the lighting, but to also change the quality of the green leaves in hopes of using a red compliment embedded in the green. I also gave the underpainting a slight surface blur so as not to overpower the green. I felt like they needed more depth and for the exchange, I hoped I'd get more illumination. So, what do you think? Did it work, or nay?

Focus

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    So, I took a rope, 50 feet in length and tied it to the door handle on my back door, then staked out a perimeter and challenged them to find art in their photography with limited space and objects. I joined them as I thought this would be a good exercise.
    Chris,
    I wish we had more teachers like you, willing to step outside of the box and try something new. While the exercise was a great idea, I think your taking part as well was cool. I know I am dating myself with my vocabulary, but I am old and live in CA. What else can I say?
    Keep it up Chris!
    Mike

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PicsbyChance View Post
    Chris,
    I wish we had more teachers like you, willing to step outside of the box and try something new. While the exercise was a great idea, I think your taking part as well was cool. I know I am dating myself with my vocabulary, but I am old and live in CA. What else can I say?
    Keep it up Chris!
    Mike
    I'm old, too and I grew up in Gelndora, CA....only, I escaped with my hair, though in the end, I lost that, too. Thanks for the positive comments. It's nice to hear something nice about a teacher other than being a leech on society that gets paid for doing nothing.