Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: Is this shot any good? How could it be better?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Horrible

0 0%
  • Good

1 100.00%
  • Above Avg

0 0%
  • Excellent

0 0%

Thread: I would like to know ...

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

I would like to know ...

I'm just starting with photography. I've been doing some reading and trying to apply it. I would like to know opinions of the pic of submitted, whether its any good or not and how it could be improved. I used a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 but I don't know what the settings of the camera were on when I took the pics.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th February 2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Tweak thread title

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: I would like some know....

Hi Mark,

Not seeing any picture at this end. There are two ways to display one inline - one is to upload it to the limited space here (and link to it) - the other is to upload it to one of the online image storage sites (and link to it) - we can help with either.

I see that you've uploaded one here - best way to get it to display inline is to get it to display - right-click on it - choose properties - select and copy the URL to the clipboard - go back to your post - and click INSERT IMAGE from the toolbar - and paste the URL into the box that pops up.

If you'd like me to edit your post to point to the image you uploaded, just let me know

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

Re: I would like to know ...

That would be great!!

Real Name

Hi Mark,

I've just tried to link to your uploaded image, but it's no longer there. I take it that you've deleted it?

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

Not on purpose! When I get home I'll try it again. Right now in Germany the local time is 9.47 am. What about New Zealand?

Real Name

Looks like we're 12 hours ahead of you - 9:49pm here. Not sure what's happening with your upload - I saw it earlier on, but didn't want to link to it for you in case it was the wrong one - and when I did the same search under your name a bit later, there was nothing showing - I even checked the latest uploads site wide - still nothing from you.

If you have an online site then it's actually a bit easier to just store them there as space is limited here, and we'd prefer that you not delete previously uploaded material as it disappears from the associated post

PS: Once we get the image up and showing I'll move this thread to the nature and architecture forum for you

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

I have a Flickr account I could use and point them there. I'll post again when I get home tonight. Thanks again!

Real Name

Flickr works well for us here - thanks for that.

I'll check in again when I get up in the morning. PS: If you see Michael Schumacher, can you say hi to him for me (I know - he lives in Switzerland these days, but thought he might pop across to Germany for the occasional visit!).
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th February 2009 at 10:07 AM.

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

Lol! Sure thing! Do me a favor. According to my teenage son I'm too old use LOL. So let's keep this between us. Sad, I just turned 43 last month.

Mark

Boys of 43 should have grown up with computers and internet use so you shouldn't have any trouble.

So far I have used the direct attachment method which seems to work well, even for an old 'coffin dogger' like me. But the available space is limited and, if I remember correctly, images should be no more than 700 pixels wide.

I have tried to get into Flickr a couple of times but can't even find 'the key to the door' so following recommendations by some other members I finally started a trial account with Pbase. Eventually managed to upload a few photos to form a couple of trial 'Galleries' but I'm still not really understanding how that site works. Will have to go back and do some more experimenting then, if I start to understand things within the 30 days, I will become a paid up member. I think it is around $25 for a year.

Failing everything else, give us a description of your photo! I tend to think that if I have done my best and the image looks good enough to frame and hang on my wall that is all I can do.

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

I just finished uploading some pics to Flickr. Here is the link!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seawellfam/

Real Name

Hi Mark,

Looks like good progress

If you'd like critique on a specific image though then it's best if you can provide a link to just that image - or (preferably) display it inline here (so users don't have to navigate away from the current thread to be able to view it) - happy to teach you how to do this if you like.

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

That would be much appreciated!

Real Name

Hi Mark,

Point your browser here ... https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread785.htm

And take a look at post 19.

Sorry that it's still so rough - it's very much incomplete (on my to do list) - but it shows the first 2 steps (to get the URL on the clipboard) - from there it's a simply case of clicking the INSERT IMAGE button when composing a post, and pasting the URL on the clipboard into the little box that pops up.

Why not give it a try - we can always fix it for you if it doesn't work (and you can edit your own posts here).

Am I correct in assuming that you mean the photo of the frost covered tree?

If so, I would suggest trying a little crop to remove part of the left hand edge and the sky in order to give more prominence to the trees. It's probably one of those try it and have another look senarios. But don't overdo it, maybe go as far as the first fence post.

Other than that I can't see much wrong with it. Maybe try a twiddle with Curves and Saturation to increase contrast a touch but, once again, it only needs very little if anything.

If you meant another image, ask again.

Geoff.

Real Name
    Mark Seawell

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that you mean the photo of the frost covered tree?

If so, I would suggest trying a little crop to remove part of the left hand edge and the sky in order to give more prominence to the trees. It's probably one of those try it and have another look senarios. But don't overdo it, maybe go as far as the first fence post.

Other than that I can't see much wrong with it. Maybe try a twiddle with Curves and Saturation to increase contrast a touch but, once again, it only needs very little if anything.

If you meant another image, ask again.

Geoff.
    That was a good critic! What about the tree with the sun in the background? I caught that as I came up the hill at the end of the day.

If I am looking at the correct photo (Ober Tree on Hill Feb 09) then my best suggestion would involve the use of a time machine to go back and change your angle a little. I would like to see a bit more blue sky over the tree and more of those interesting clouds which are just visible on the left hand edge. Then it would have been a prize winner.

We have all frequently done the same and thought that we had the best possible photo then in hindsight . . . and quite frequently it is impossible to change your angle anyway. But whenever possible walk around your subject and take a selection of shots from different vantage points.

But, all is not lost here, your exposure is good so I would suggest once again trying a little bit of cropping. Use a different ratio of length to height in order to remove some of the black foreground which is competing with that tree for the viewer's interest. I suspect that cropping to a 3x2 ratio will greatly improve things.