Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Guards of the Alamo

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The Guards of the Alamo

Another shot that I took inside the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.

There's a funny story behind this image. My family went to the souvenir shop inside the Alamo compound. When I saw from the main entrance door that "taking photos and food is not allowed inside" I just took a glimpse of what they're selling and went out. There's too many people around (probably because it's a Sunday) but still I was hoping to get some good shots to bring home. Then I saw this guard (the dark colored officer). In my mind I thought "Maybe He'll be kind enough to pose for me and get a shot of a guard in the Alamo. So, without hesitation I tapped him on the shoulder and said: "Excuse me officer, would you do me a special favor and pose for me for one shot?" The guy looked at me as if he's measuring if I'm serious, then he looked at my camera and said "Just one shot." LOL! I told him I want him to pose for me near the north entrance. Then by sheer luck two of his buddies were there, too! So, in the end I was able to take the shot with the three of them. This is the result of that shot. Thank you very much for listening.

The Guards of the Alamo

Click the image to see the bigger picture. Thank you very much for viewing.

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 18mm, Exposure at ISO 200, f8 at 1/125 of a second, Matrix Metering in Manual Mode, Color processed in Lightroom 3.3
    Last edited by jiro; 29th March 2011 at 09:32 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: The Guards of the Alamo

Willie, I like your work. The background looks .... i dunno, too gritty? Is there a texture applied here or maybe some issue with compression on fine detail? Heck, maybe my eyes are simply bad.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Willie, I like your work. The background looks .... i dunno, too gritty? Is there a texture applied here or maybe some issue with compression on fine detail? Heck, maybe my eyes are simply bad.
    Hello Brian, the brick walls have a lot of texture in them for a start. I added just a little bit of sharpening and maybe that's the one that you are seeing. If you click the image it will show you the bigger image and the effect is different. Thanks for liking this one.
    Last edited by jiro; 29th March 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Real Name

I did a small edit based on your comment, Brian. How's this?

The Guards of the Alamo

Real Name
    Mike

Jiro,

I guess Texas has changed in the 45 some odd years since I have been there. Never would have considered tapping one of those guys on the shoulder. Good job on getting the shot!

Mike

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PicsbyChance View Post
    Jiro,

I guess Texas has changed in the 45 some odd years since I have been there. Never would have considered tapping one of those guys on the shoulder. Good job on getting the shot!

Mike
    I guess I'm too thick-skinned to notice the danger in doing what I just did. LOL! At least I took the shot. Hehehe.
    Last edited by jiro; 30th March 2011 at 05:14 AM.