Thread: Old metal garden sundial

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Old metal garden sundial

Old metal garden sundial

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Old metal garden sundial

I hope this act of malfeasance is justified... First time Ilooked at this image and this last time, I saw it as a B&W. Mostly because of the color pattern which is predominately complementary and while that almost always works, in this case it seems to make everything want to blend together. If you want to keep it as a color image, either the background or the foreground has to be dominate...and again, in this case it would have to be the foreground. I played with it for a few minutes, and then did a B&W conversion and I think, at least for me, it works better...but then, these are just my thoughts.

Old metal garden sundial

Real Name
    Ken Outch

It sure is. B&W is so much better. You have worked wonders with it. Thank you. I will have to be a bit less of a 'wee timorous mouse' as far as B&W is concerned. Thank you for your help
    K

Real Name
    Chris

You can do B&W by either going the "channels" route, or by destaurating the image then working in some adjustment layes to tweak accordingly. Another possibility is to do a lab color, focus on the lightness channel, make a copy of that channel, flatten then convert back to RGB and use that as a starting place. I generally only use this method if I am going to work in Silver Efex Pro.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thanks for advice Chris. Currently, from what I have read on this site and elswhere, I tend to use the channels thingy. Using the lab colour is still a bit of an unknown area to me at present.