Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fifeshire Rock @ Last Light

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Fifeshire Rock @ Last Light

Shot last night. (Serious) C&C Welcome! (click on image for bigger version).

Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th March 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Fifeshire Rock @ Last Light

Isn't this the same picture you posted earlier?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Isn't this the same picture you posted earlier?
    Yes - but hopefully we won't get the same comments (and if we do, I have a feeling they won't last long!).

Real Name
    Chris

I think what has bothered me about this scene was somewhat overshadowed by the incredible richness of a beautifully rendered sunset. Great saturation, absolutelt stunning colors, yet it wasn't compositionally pleasing to my eye as the focus point, therock was too far to the right and lacked a specific prominience. You gave it a name and then let it sort of almost drift out of the scene...

What I am showing below is a crude attempt at cutting and pasting, but I think if the rock was given a bit more presence in the compsition, it would create a greater sense of "oneness." Just my thoughts.

Real Name

Thanks Chris,

I was caught between a bit of a rock and a hard place; it would have been nice to go wider and push in closer, but I didn't feel like standing in salt water for an hour in my work shoes - I could have used a longer lens, but then I wouldn't have captured much of the light in the sky (which was setting further around to the south at the moment), or the foreground. I'd like to have stuck a GND on to balance out the foreground a little -- but I already had a Vari-ND on to smooth the water, and vignetting was already an issue.

Just one of those images that "fought back". I might have another crack at processing it tonight, and see if I can improve it.

Might be a good candidate to let folks here have a crack at the RAW file (in fact, if anyone wants to have a go, send me a PM and I'll send them a download link with it).

Real Name
    Chris

I hate those shots that fight back...and I have three sitting in bridge right now that I've worked from one end to the other and no matter what I do, they come out looking like cow patties. I have a negative, which by densitometer standards is as perfect as a negative can get. Processed with several others (on the same roll of film) that won some good local competitions and I can't print it, and as well, Al Weber and David Vestal can't print it and they're the best in the world in the darkroom...sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and scream...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I hate those shots that fight back...and I have three sitting in bridge right now that I've worked from one end to the other and no matter what I do, they come out looking like cow patties. I have a negative, which by densitometer standards is as perfect as a negative can get. Processed with several others (on the same roll of film) that won some good local competitions and I can't print it, and as well, Al Weber and David Vestal can't print it and they're the best in the world in the darkroom...sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and scream...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
    Someone once summed it up quite nicely ...

... some days you're the pigeon, other days you're the statue!