Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Night Visitors

Real Name
    John

Night Visitors

Hi All,
    After a recent visit in the night from some "ne're do wells", I am now without camera etc. Anyway, I've done the crying bit and am now looking for a replacement for my Nikon D80.

I have been looking at the D90 or D7000.
    I understand that the D90 has been around for a little while, but is a great camera. Having read good things about the D90 and the D7000, I was leaning towards the more expensive camera.

I have recently seen another magazine report that said the 18-105 lens bundled with the camera was not good enough for the camera and rated the bundle 3 out of 5.
    What I would like to ask, is , does anyone have any experience, comments or guidance?
    My concern is that at present I can't run to a seperate body and quality lens but I would still like to get the best kit available.

I know this is a bit of a tall order, but any advice will be most welcome.

Thanks to all.

John

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Night Visitors

Hi John,

Sorry to hear of your loss (suppressed profanity)

I have been lucky so far.

Make sure you have a more secure house, though - I gather it is a sad fact that thieves will wait until your insurance has kicked in and you've replaced all the stolen items, then they come back with the benefit of knowing the layout of the house and the best way in and out. Not that I want to give you nightmares.

Of those, yes, I'd stretch to the D7000, I have no experience of the lens as I went body only + 18-200mm when I got my D5000, but yes, it costs more.

I'd love a D7000, but I can't justify swapping the D5000 yet, and besides - it's not going to make me any better a photographer.

I would tend to invest in predominantly the body now (perhaps with that lens) and build on lenses as time, funds and better knowledge of what you'd like to shoot (hence focal length and aperture required), permit.

Good luck,

Real Name
    Chris

I would go the route of the 18-55 rather than the kit lens...it's okay, but not not spectacular. My buddy got the 18-55 with the body combo and is quite happy with it. You'll love the D7000. No offense dave, but I am using a borrowed D5000 while mine is being repaired and it is to the 7000 what a Volkswagon is to a Porche...

However, that said, it does nothing to make me a better photographer, only gives me a little more latitude in that learning curve. And that said, I have literally blown the doors off Porches with bad drivers on tight courses. It's always about the driver.

Real Name
    Chris

A nicely placed Doberman (especially one trained not to bark) is a great antidote to a return criminal...they aren't quite expecting that.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    No offense dave, but I am using a borrowed D5000 while mine is being repaired and it is to the 7000 what a Volkswagon is to a Porche...
    Wot, no Minis!

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

I feel your pain! back in Nov of last year my house was broke into as well, I lost camera gear and my laptops and backup drives. the computer and drives were the worst because of all the images i lost. Thank god for household insurance! Hope they catch the buggers.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the feedback, I don't know what the cost element is with an 18-55 lens but I will certainly look into it. I would probably have gone and got the 18-105 but for that magazine report giving a 3 of 5, so now I will look into the alternatives a bit more.

The "visitors" also got away with two computers, but luckily my hard drive back up is kept at a friends house so I still have my photo's and files.

It is a bit creepy when I think that someone out there has my letters and other details available to them (but I have notified all the necessary people). One thing that the police noticed was kitchen knives by the front and rear entrance (inside), they told me that had I returned (did I say I was only out for an hour) and interrupted them I would have been threatened (or worse) - scary

John

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    A nicely placed Doberman (especially one trained not to bark) is a great antidote to a return criminal...they aren't quite expecting that.
    I'm reminded of a couple of signs on the side of a house that I saw once. The first said "Warning - house protected by guard dog"; the second said "Go on - break in - MAKE HIS DAY"!

Real Name
    Richard

Sorry for your loss...

IMO, a LARGE DOG is one of the best security systems you can have. I have an even better system... Several small dogs who have excellent ears and just live to bark at intruders. They are my early warning system backed up by a 65 pound (~29.5 kilo) bigger dog.

I have a sign that says, "MY DOG CAN MAKE IT TO THE FENCE IN 3.8 SECONDS. CAN YOU?"

Real Name

I was thinking of installing one of these in the studio as a last line of defence ...

http://www.smokecloak.com/en/

Real Name
    Richard

I guess that this would not be too useful in a home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I guess that this would not be too useful in a home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
    Great if you're actually in the car ... if it's unattented then I prefer the 007 security system ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmpBYcM06Sk

Real Name
    Chris

that works as long as you are NOT in the car.

Real Name
    Richard

But then there is always trunk monkey...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lov9mdgO4G0

Real Name
    Chris

That's funny...I was going to suggest that as well but wasn't sure if they still had those commercials around...