Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dock of the Bay - Revisited

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Dock of the Bay - Revisited

Hi Team - 3rd day in a row back at the old "dock of the bay". Taking on board some of yesterdays helpful suggestions, I ducked under a bridge and stood in salt water up to my waist (with waders on) for around 2 hours whilst trying to work around "helpful" "gentlemen" on a jetski who mistakenly seemed to think that doing sharp turns in front of me was a source of great amusement for all - and to top it off they even dropped a large rock over the side so it landed in the water about 3 feet away from my camera & lens which at that point was only about 1 foot above the waterline - thank goodness for weather sealed camera and lenses - it's times like that you wish they came complete with a build in rocket launcher I can tell you!

Other than that ... 60 sec @ F11 @ ISO 100 @ 125mm with Singh-Ray Vari-ND ...

Dock of the Bay - Revisited

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Dock of the Bay - Revisited

I'm liking this better Colin and you really worked for it. It has a stark but peaceful feel. When I look at the image I'm thinking cold morning but then you talked about fools on a jetski and I'm reminded that I'm in the other hemisphere. It enters my mind that a sinking jetski with two floundering fools would add interest.

Chuck

Colin
    Perhaps a spear gun strapped over your shoulder may dissuade the Idiots of this world.
    Very good separation.
    john

Just like the mobile phone evolved over the years with camera, flash, radio etc.. DSLR should evolve too with at least a shotgun

H'mm unlike CNelson I liked the previous one , this pic is a bit close and less colorful "strictly for me".
    (Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder)

I somewhat agree with ajith...however, this new crop gives a new details that are also interesting like the water in the foreground...I would lose the blurry boey or soemthing on the right hand side though....

Real Name

Thanks team,

Perhaps I should have told the idiots that I was a member of the notorious "Tripod Gang"!

Thanks for the comments - I've only just got to work so will be tranferring the images to my "real" PC and (calibrated) monitor shortly to see what I've really got!.

Keeping in mind that things like blurry buoys will wrap around the side of the frame (canvas print) - I might blat it, but can't crop it at would spoil the composition a little (have to think a little wider when composing for canvas to allow for the portion "lost" with the wrapping).

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Colin, I tend to agree with Ajith. I really did like the original composition (obviously no idea as to north/south orientation) and would persevere with trying to get better conditions, i.e. sunset, sunrise. I really do admire landscape 'togs. You're all mad!

I really shouldn't post this next bit of info, but if people pick on my mates, they pick on me. I had a mate once who left my lot to join a bunch of chaps in Poole, Dorset, who liked to swim. When out in the water doing stuff they would often encounter similar problems as our Colin. The solution; chuck a toilet roll just in front of said jet ski. Lie back. Enjoy, as the intake blocks, rider smacks water (depending on how fast) quite hard. I won't say what the chaps did then but you get the gist.

Real Name

Biggest problem was there was 6 of them, and 1 of me!

At one point I did think of giving the police a quick call, but at the end of the day they didn't do any damage and probably weren't breaking any laws (would have been a different story if the camera or lens had been damaged though).

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Well, in my view it's still bullying which is not something I will tolerate in any shape or form. The above advice from me will have the same financial effect on them as it would have had on you, if the camera, lens and tripod had been wrecked.

Mark

Colin,

This shot has given a different perspective compared to the last one, and it's better
    in my view. You are a very determining person whom I should learn from.

Real Name

Poetic justice would have been them having to sell the jetski to pay for damage to the camera and lens had there been any.

I just don't get the mentality of some people - I go out of my way to work in with others and (on that basis) expect as a common coutesy that they would do the same, and yet so many in society are just so anti-social, for want of a better word.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Colin,

This shot has given a different perspective compared to the last one, and it's better
    in my view. You are a very determining person whom I should learn from.
    Thanks Yan,

I like the 2nd one too - but I think that the first composition will also be a winner if I shoot it when there aren't any clouds over the mountains.