In the Tent
    Abstracts

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Abstracts

Autum in March? Funny how weather patterns differ so much from one hemisphere to another. I like the first one but not sure about the second. Probably because I don't know exactly what i am looking at. It sort of reminds me of a hanger for a blimp as it is so canvernous.

Real Name
    Kay

The first one with the contrast in shape and the mix between what is easily recognisable and what is not is really a winner for me Raylee.

I definitely like the first one, Raylee. Somehow, it seems 'rich' - maybe, someplace that could have such a lovely 'ground' would be elegant? I like that they're in water, too. Autumn rains? The longer that I look at it, though, I just wonder about the shiny, "blown out" bits (the leaves are wet) and how dark it is in the upper right hand corner. Were you doing it on purpose, then? (I've just been wondering about this in several different threads.)

The tent seems a little "flat" to me - that's how the photo, in general, feels. Lighting? The pattern makes it look like we're looking from under and behind at a big bug with antennae. (Hmmm, should I put a or an ?)
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 20th March 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Raylee

As Katy has hinted at above the light falls off a little to quickly. I think this would have suited more even lighting. The second image works for me as a b/w conversion but there is not enough interest to hold the viewer.

Now I may be totally wrong here because it is only what happens to me but I get the feeling these are hunted shots rather than planned shots. By hunted I mean that the photographer goes out with the camera in the desolation of a photographic winter in the hope that he or she may just get one for the bag. I always get these kind of shots when wander and my head refuses to engage creative gear. There is nothing wrong with that in principle but for me these type of shots are symptomatic of the photographer's of creative temperature. I also know that you are doing a course and I have noticed the same thing can happen with our Becki. She is given a theme and wanders to find subjects to fit the remit....in the hope that a winner is out there....somewhere. I think the real requirement is probably to spend 3 days thinking about it and half an hour photographing the result of the creative thinking.

My generalisations are usually wildly off the mark so please feel free to totally ignore my ramblings

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Raylee

As Katy has hinted at above the light falls off a little to quickly. I think this would have suited more even lighting. The second image works for me as a b/w conversion but there is not enough interest to hold the viewer.

Now I may be totally wrong here because it is only what happens to me but I get the feeling these are hunted shots rather than planned shots. By hunted I mean that the photographer goes out with the camera in the desolation of a photographic winter in the hope that he or she may just get one for the bag. I always get these kind of shots when wander and my head refuses to engage creative gear. There is nothing wrong with that in principle but for me these type of shots are symptomatic of the photographer's of creative temperature. I also know that you are doing a course and I have noticed the same thing can happen with our Becki. She is given a theme and wanders to find subjects to fit the remit....in the hope that a winner is out there....somewhere. I think the real requirement is probably to spend 3 days thinking about it and half an hour photographing the result of the creative thinking.

My generalisations are usually wildly off the mark so please feel free to totally ignore my ramblings
    Thanks everyone.

Steve - you are right - I was wandering around looking for something to take photos of. I'm going to try the circles in water again. They are part of a statue/fountain acknowledging the Indigenous Australians. I love the graphic design of the metal. There are some really interesting statues (modern) near work but I just can't seem to capture them. Part of the problem is going out in my lunch break when the sun is too harsh, but then the mornings haven't been cooperative lately either because of cloud. I'm in a rut.

R