Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Close Encounters of the Third Kind - or something like that...

Real Name
    Chris

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - or something like that...

I think these got lost in another thread and I really wanted some feedback as to which one best mimes the scene where Richard Dreyfus first encounters the aliens at the RR crossing. When I drove up to this scene, in moderately wispy fog (sun rising), I immediately saw that scene in my head (maybe I need some of Steve's stuff...uhhmmm). I was shooting on a borrowed camera (Nikon D5000) which was set up all kinds of wacky and it overexposed the setting...still, though, I think it worked to my advantage.

Close encounters or not, other than the pole at the far back right and the RR tracks, there's not one straight manmade object around.

Real Name
    Al

Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind - or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I really wanted some feedback as to which one best mimes the scene where Richard Dreyfus first encounters the aliens at the RR crossing.
    I vote for the photo of the second kind, although it does need a bright shaft of light from the upper right. Do you feel a sudden urge to carve a mountain of mashed potatotes?

Real Name
    Kay

I agree - the second one is best for me.
    The first 1 has too much contrast with the bright area top right - the second keeps the scary-mystery-frightening feel about it better for me.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    I vote for the photo of the second kind, although it does need a bright shaft of light from the upper right. Do you feel a sudden urge to carve a mountain of mashed potatotes?
    Like this?

Close Encounters of an Altered Kind - Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding

Chris

I actually like the first image. It is full of atmosphere and the method of conversion really suits the subject.

Real Name
    Paul

i like the first one as well.love the mood of the shot.whats going on with the sign in the 3nd shot bottom left.looks like it springing back and forwards

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    i like the first one as well.love the mood of the shot.whats going on with the sign in the 3nd shot bottom left.looks like it springing back and forwards
    Don't know your age but there was a movie in the late 70's called Close Encounters of the Third Kind...and that was a scene from that movie. The scene involved a man coming into contact with an alien spacecraft that set the RR crossing sign vibrating and a bright light came from the sky, giving him a huge farmer's sunburn..anyway, it was for the fun of it and only to play.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Interesting, it does bring to mind the move scene. What would it look like with a color tint or even a faded multi-color gradient overlay....if you looking for that extraterrestrial look.

Chuck

Love this! It's only missing Richard Dreyfus at this point. Do love the effects on the signs... nice touch!

I gotta say that I like the first one better. Something about the more drastic contrasts gives it even more mood.