Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Back to The Future

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Back to The Future

I've been too busy to get out and do new shooting and haven't had much time to visit my favorite forums in a while so I thought I'd post a crazy digital composition just to keep in the play. It's just an over the top play with techniques just to see what I'd come up with.

Chuck

Back to The Future

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Back to The Future

Well I like it

Real Name
    John

Very imaginative.

Real Name
    Chris

I think there is a great deal of imaginative activity taking place, but I don't get a sense of depth in these images. The two "orbs" appear more as circles, less as round shapes because of a lack of shadow modeling on any of the sides. As a result, the automobile, which should appear to be floating in space, actually looks more like it is "pasted" atop the other two images.

If you still have this as a PSD file and can re-edit, try adding some 3/4 moon effects on the two circles with a shadow of the top circle on the surface of the bottom circle to create both depth and a reasonable facimile of "realism." You might even want to recreate a shadow of the car on one or both surfaces. Just remember to have the light source come from the same side on all images.

The fun about doing imagination pics is you can play with them until you get exactly what you want...then again, as I relook at your image, this may be exactly what you wanted and I could be off on another wild tangent...and therefore can leave as is...

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks all. Chris....the orbs do have a bit of shadow on the bottom side as the primary light on the car is from the top. I agree with your point, perhaps the shadows could be increased. Of course they really are circles, one a photograph of dirty cement and another quartz rock. I disolved part of the big one but left the smaller one solid. I used the burn tool to try to give them some shape but could have done a better job.

Chuck

Real Name
    Chris

This is a tad crude because I couldn't match your surface treatment...so I used an orange and toned it in Silver Efex...cheap tricks are fun...but to give you a better idea as not just adding shading, but constructing a ball shape with some modeling.

Back to The Future

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Looks good Chris!

Chuck

Real Name
    james

cool!

Real Name
    Mario