Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Photographers

Real Name
    Janis

Favorite Photographers?

Hi all,

I started a photography course last week at a local photography school. As my self-directed learning has been pretty haphazard thus far, I am starting over at zero. Not a bad idea as it turns out, as I have already learned a couple of things about my Nikon I didn't know before. (Don't ask, I'm too embarrassed to say.)

Anyhow, our first assignment is to become acquainted with as many photographers as possible and present one we like to the class. I am actually thinking of doing my presentation on Vivian Maier (thank you, Rob) because there is so much that I respond to in her work and what little we know of her biography. Nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to know who inspires each of you and perhaps discover some more photographers of whom I am not aware.

Looking forward to your responses.

Best,
    Last edited by purplehaze; 8th March 2011 at 01:38 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Favorite Photographers?

It's hard not to mention all the classic photographers since they are the basis for al that we know about photography. In and amongst them, I have two that stand out ot me as the real icons of image making. The first is Edward Weston. Find anything he's ever done that didn't take your breath away and I'll buy you dinner. My second most favorite, though I really have many and nailing me down on any one day to my bestest...good luck; however, Dorothea Lange for her sheer humanity as a photographer ranks high-high on my list. Imogene Cunningham, Ansel Adams and Harry Callahan top out my list...with any one of them on any given day, my favorite.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    IImogene Cunningham, Ansel Adams and Harry Callahan top out my list...with any one of them on any given day, my favorite.
    Well now, Callahan is a discovery for me. I will be looking for his influence in your work. Thank you, Chris!

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Janis,

There are so many, but I look to Henri Cartier Bresson and Australian landscape photographers Olegas Truchanas and Peter Dombrovskis both of whom were early environmentalists and died in the field pursuing their art. Somewhat more visually challenging are Edward Burtynsky, who makes stunning photographs of mining landscapes and Murray Fredericks' salt lake photographs. Another photographer whom I admire is an Australian commercial, landscape and portrait photographer Murray VanderVeer, his environmental portraits are excellent.

Graham

Graham

Real Name
    Janis

I'm already a Burtynsky fan, Graham; it's good to find another. Bresson is a given, which reminds me, I have to get to the local art gallery soon for an André Kertész showing. I will look into your other recommendations over the course of the day; thanks!

Real Name
    Steve

I have only ever seen snippets of Ansel Adam's stuff, I see you already seen one of the best:

http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/2010...ian-maier.html

But also

http://hillerphoto.com/

and

http://www.duffyphotographer.com/duffy_website.html

cor blimey, looks like they are all street photographers, but I like landscape.

quick search gives Ansel Adams or this chap who doesn't seem to appreciate thirds only joking

http://www.charliewaite.com/

Real Name
    Elise

Look at Nick Brandt, Frans Lanting, or Sebastiao Salgado. That Masters of Photography site is good to explore -- it includes many excellent examples.

Good luck with your class --

Real Name
    Chris

I completely left out Salgado and Sexton...and they are both similar in style.

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

Did anyone say Peter Lik? Super sick!

Real Name
    Chris

And certainly don't leave out Paul Strand...it's hard to say Ansel Adams and not say Paul Strand at the same time. Another incredible contemporary (though he is getting older than the Rockies as we speak) is Al Weber, another contemporary of Adams (though a bit later). He lives just up the road from Elise.

Real Name
    Janis

Graham - what I have found of Truchanas and Dombrovskis is stunning; I am going to try to hunt down that documentary on them.

Arith - Haven't had a chance to look at Duffy, yet, but I think I am going to like Hiller very much.

Elise - Thank you for reminding me of Nick Brandt. I came close to buying his book on elephants more than once when it first came out. Salgado has been a favorite for years, but I don't know Lanting. My mom is in Palm Springs area right now; I will tell her to be sure to visit his gallery if she goes up that way. (Which reminds me, you must get yourself into that annual art show in La Quinta next year, so she can pick up a Wormuth for me.)

Chris and Shane - thank you for your suggestions. I am going to get myself lost in exploration now...

Real Name
    Peter

http://www.yannarthusbertrand.org/index_new.php

The Earth from Above series is exceptional and sparked my interest in photography. Still amazes me when I stumble across some of his images.

Also agree on Peter Lik.

Real Name
    Elise

Janis, if your mom comes up this way, Frans Lanting has a small gallery here in Santa Cruz that shows his extraordinary work. An art show in La Quinta -- I don't think I'm quite there yet, but maybe in another year or two . . .

Real Name
    Paul

I am throwing this artist {Issac Layman} out there, not because it is to my taste but more because I have a certain admiration for his vision. While his pictures are of mainly mundane household items, if you study them closely you realize they are not one but many photographs taken at different focuss points with different exposures stitched together to make one full composition. To fully understand or visualize, one must see these works in the very large formatt in which he works. The appear very 3 dementional. I have had the opportunity as I have worked with his father for some 24 yrs and at one time babysat him and his siblings. For those that enjoy new twists in the contemporary scene he is looked upon quite highly. Enjoy, I suggest reading the article to fully appreciate....well maybe not fully even then.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...-of-saint.html
    Last edited by jeeperman; 9th March 2011 at 06:01 AM.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Janis, if your mom comes up this way, Frans Lanting has a small gallery here in Santa Cruz that shows his extraordinary work. An art show in La Quinta -- I don't think I'm quite there yet, but maybe in another year or two . . .
    When you feel you're ready, La Quinta Arts Festival. It's a great event. I've been twice and you belong.

Real Name
    Scott Gordon

One of my favorite photographers isn't a household name like Ansel Adams or many others; but, his work is striking and sometimes raw. He is a person who photographs what he is passionate about and that passion comes through in his work. It has been kind of cool watching his work develop through the last few years.. his name is Ryan Spencer Reed. I linked his name with a small write up about some of his work and the article has a few links in it to his work. Genuinely a nice guy, and soft spoken.

Most of the Photographers that I would count among my favorites are not so much well-known artists, but the ones that their own vision comes through in their work loud and clear.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Without doubt Don McCullin was my greatest influence, with his stark, often brutal monochrome images, not necessarily of war, although that's perhaps for what he is best known.
    Whilst I harboured no desire to be a war photographer, his images definitely cemented my love of the black and white image, and the power it can wield.

Nick Brandt is great. so is Rodney Lough Jr.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    http://www.yannarthusbertrand.org/index_new.php

The Earth from Above series is exceptional and sparked my interest in photography. Still amazes me when I stumble across some of his images.

Also agree on Peter Lik.

Real Name
    Rachel

Hi Janis,

I'm completely unable to pick a favorite myself because every time I see something new and different I love it as much as the last new and different thing I saw! This site has a listing of a huge number of well known as well as lesser known but amazingly talented photographers and I spend hours sometimes perusing the gallery, maybe you will find someone new to admire here..

http://photography-now.net/internati...ography_index/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast