Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Salvation

Salvation

Another image in work but I would value opinions at this stage. I am about to give up on this as a lost cause so it will be interesting to get other views at this point

Salvation

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Salvation

Well, I like the idea but I'd like to see the left (on screen) arm a bit more defined. I'm also wondering if it would be better to have more light near the top and less of the dark shadows, or maybe just more light on the face would work. Right now it's too confusing to me. On the face I would prefer a more graduated change in tones especially across the nose and chin. I think, it's really hard to know without seeing.... but I think you'll know what I mean.

On another note, and I have no idea how you do this so what I suggest might not even be possible but.... Can you make it look like the child is escaping from the clutches of a dark shadowy symbolic tangled vine and reaching for the light. Similar to what you have now, but more defined somehow or other. Hope that makes sense. I like the concept, but without the title I would not have figured this one out.

Wendy

Wendy

All good points. The more I look at this now the more I dislike. Most of my dislikes are rooted are along the lines you outline above. I still like the concept but this is going to need a major rework. My starting background was way to colourful and busy and the PP is far to heavy to retain the detail. I was trying to get a dark foreboding look but I have overdone it here. Back to the old Wacom tablet it seems.

Real Name
    António Correia

Hello Steve
    Your image is very nice and I like it.
    If you are not happy with it it is nothing but normal. Often we are not happy about our own images in spite if their quality.
    Perhaps in your image, neither the crop nor the canvas used is the best one.
    It doesn't mean mine is

Salvation

Thanks Antonio. I much prefer your crop but I feel I need to lift some of the black out of the image. I am going to try this again with a lighter first texture layer. I feel it may work with the right layers.

rob marshall

I'm reminded of the 'More please, Sir' scene in Oliver. Something to do with the upward look and camera angle. I think it would work better with more emphasis on the child, and less on the background, which is too dominant and detailed. Good idea though.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    ...'More please, Sir' scene in Oliver...
    "...'Please, sir, I want some more.'
    The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.
    'What !' said the master at length, in a faint voice.
    'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'
    The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.
    The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,
    'Mr. Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!'
    There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.
    'For MORE!' said Mr. Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the dietary?'
    'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.
    'That boy will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that boy will be hung.'..."

So Rob, you want MORE ??!! and so do I
    I read Oliver Twist when I was a young lad and I was very impressed at the time. I read it in Portuguese of course...

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I read Oliver Twist when I was a young lad and I was very impressed at the time. I read it in Portuguese of course...
    It's funny you should say that, Antonio, because I have never liked Dickens (he's a pontificating wind-bag, just like me). I don't speak Portuguese, so maybe it would sound better listening to a reading of his work in that fine language?

Real Name
    António Correia

It's funny you should say that, Antonio, because I have never liked Dickens (he's a pontificating wind-bag, just like me). I don't speak Portuguese, so maybe it would sound better listening to a reading of his work in that fine language?
    I never read it again I was very young then...

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I was very young then...
    Well, you may have lost your youth, but you have made up for it with charm and eloquence. Just like me, in fact...

Real Name
    Chris

Well, you may have lost your youth, but you have made up for it with charm and eloquence. Just like me, in fact...
    Sheeeeeessssseeeeeeeeee