Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Elements to Consider when Buying a S-H Lens.

Elements to Consider when Buying a S-H Lens.

Hi
    After some searching for a good ultra-wide lens, I finally found a seller for the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM for 525 CAD (425 USD)
    It's been used 3 or 4 times since he last purchased it 5 months ago.
    It comes with the 10 years canadian warranty.

Now I'm skeptical because he says he has to sell this lens because of his new full frame camera. Why would someone buy a EF-S lens right before he acquire a full-frame, knowing it would be uncompatible?

Anyway, I plan to go see it soon and we agreed to test it on my XSI.
    My question is what to look for when examining the lens (other than scratches and visible sign of harm). I've always bought brand new, so I have no experience with second hand.

Is there any good tests to do? What to look for in the test shots (I will probably be limited to the rear-LCD when looking the images)? Etc.

I hope to buy this lens without troubles.

Thanks

Re: Elements to Consider when Buying a S-H Lens.

Check on internet for known issues about this particular lens.

Can you arrange a laptop or use te sellers laptop to examine the pictures?
    It's better then the LCD-screen.

Check for frontfocus and backfocus. (tripod?)
    http://www.focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

I remember a story about a lens wich did a fine job in landscape-position and give problems in portrait-position.
    Something inside moved a bit wich caused slighty out of focus pictures.
    Maybe good to check in different positions.

Other people can add more advice i think.

You should be quite secure with 10 years warranty isn't it?
    An amazing long timeperiod for warranty in my opinion.
    Is it normal in Canada? How long is your XSI warranted?

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Something else to be on the lookout for with very old lenses is the start of fungus growth within the lens, both between and on individual lens elements. This can present a serious problem with image quality, and is very difficult to get rid of. Subtle fungus growth might not be noticable when looking at the lens itself, but can have a marked effect on image contrast.

I know this is a little late ( 15 Feb) but I just purchased that same lens brand new for $460 US and I saw one cheaper in a magazine for $420 US.

Hey Thanks for the info Zuni,

congratz on the purchase. In fact, I finally bought it s-h (it's was purchased brand new 5 months earlier) for 425 USD with a 10 years warranty

that lens is aaawesome, can't wait to try it outside

do you have any pics with your new lens?

well...sort of lol. Considering that this is my very first camera( besides the point and shoot I lost in Iraq) I do not think anyone would want to see the travesty of images I have collected lol. However I do have a couple I think display some of the features of the lens. Let me try to get them up here today. I need to see if my photobucket account is still on.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Zuni View Post
    I know this is a little late ( 15 Feb) but I just purchased that same lens brand new for $460 US and I saw one cheaper in a magazine for $420 US.
    Where did you see it for $420 ?

I would be very interested in that, and I already own one !

There is an ad in the back of the Jan/Feb issue of PCPhoto magazine from a company called :
    Tri-State camera,video, and conputers. It is listed for $419.95 US. Now keep in mind that I have no idea if this is a reputable company or not, I was a little leary buying a 500 dollar lens from an ad in a magazine seeing as I am new to the field so I opted to buy one locally for 40 dollars more. It was the piece of mind and the "i have to have it right now" factors that made me do it lol.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Zuni View Post
    There is an ad in the back of the Jan/Feb issue of PCPhoto magazine from a company called :
    Tri-State camera,video, and conputers. It is listed for $419.95 US. Now keep in mind that I have no idea if this is a reputable company or not, I was a little leary buying a 500 dollar lens from an ad in a magazine seeing as I am new to the field so I opted to buy one locally for 40 dollars more. It was the piece of mind and the "i have to have it right now" factors that made me do it lol.
    I think you may have dodged a bullet.

I'd chalk that up as $40 well spent.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store..._and_Computers

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

If you ever want a real laugh - check out Sonic Cameras ...

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras

The irony is that the majority of the (very) few who gave them a positive appear to have done it by mistake!

Needless to say, avoid at all costs.

Wow..i think you are right Bm7B5..check this out:

Placed my order on 1/25/09. Gave myself 11 days to get it as I was going an a trip, and needed it before I left. Checked online to see if shipped on 1/29/09. Said I didn't have a valid order number. So I called to find out if it had shipped. He said he'd have to check and call me back. He did not call me back. Sent two emails, no response. Called again on Sunday, 8 days after ordering, then called again on Monday.IT TOOK 5 DAYS TO FIND OUT IF IT HAD EVEN SHIPPED! and, of course, it hadn't. Promised me an upgrade for 2 day delivery to receive by 2/5. Checked UPS tracking, and delivery scheduled for 2/6! I'll be gone by then, and the lens will sit on my front porch until I return. I will have to buy from a brick and mortar, and after reading these reviews, which I should have done BEFORE ordering, I will likely have a hard time getting my $$ back! Run! Don't walk away from these guys!
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store..._and_Computers