Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gas Works Park

Real Name
    Paul

Gas Works Park

This is an old gasification plant {1906-1960} and then turned into a park that sits on waterfront across Lake Union from Seattle. I stopped in today while at work and tried to dodge rain and 40mph winds. I will be returning on a better day as I am not fully satisfied with this series. I'll call it a scouting location day. lol Maybe a little C&C can help guide me on my return trip.
    Thank you in advance. =}

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park
    Last edited by jeeperman; 3rd March 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Gas Works Park

Great work Paul. I can see a lot of potential here. A couple of comments if I may.

# 1 I feel is a bit too tight on the sides and also maybe a tad at the bottom. Not enough room for the gas works to breath in the image and the background competes for attention.

#2 needs some lens distortion correction and that will also crop some of the foreground. I like what you are attempting but there is not a lot of interest in the foreground and some minor cropping won’t hurt. I do like the idea of the path leading into the image. Opening up the shadow details will lighten the gasworks here and make them stand out as the subject.

# 3 and 4 work very well for me. I like the framing and perspective of these two. Maybe #4 needs to be centred to show a symmetrically balanced image.

Overall a really good series on this location and, as you say, a better day might help.

Real Name
    Paul

Ahh, thank you Peter. I knew I was seeing some issues and some were the same as you pointed out....others I could not put my finger on the problem. I have had these under study for half the day and am coming up with ideas for a return trip. Now to match time with weather!

Real Name
    Chris

Brilliant subject matter.

I'd be tempted, like Chris, to be thinking in B & W.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd March 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks guys, when I first saw the scene I saw B&W possabilities. However I think most just looked a little flat. When I re shoot I hope to correct that. I really need a better sky. I also need to bring up the detail in the structures with some better light, then I think they could be worthy.