Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Istanbul - First Posts

Real Name
    Gokhan

Istanbul - First Posts

Hi people,
    As a debutant these are my first works, C&C please?
    Cheers
    Gokhan
    Istanbul - First Posts
    Istanbul - First Posts
    Istanbul - First Posts
    Istanbul - First Posts

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Istanbul - First Posts

Gokhan

I hope you have seen my Personal Message explaining why I moved your posts into this new thread.

The first one is my favourite from the set. I think the others have too much movement for my linking.

Real Name
    Paul

Hi Gokhan,

I like the first one best as well. You get the sense of the gulls wheeling around you. A little more contrast and saturation (but not too much - you want to retain the mistiness of the buildings on the shoreline) would give it more impact.

Watch the edges of the frame when composing your image (for example the black shadow on the right of number four). Its amazing what can sneak in without you noticing.

- Paul

Real Name
    Richard

I really like #1 the best! I would love to see more images of Istanbul. It is a location I am dying to visit.

Real Name
    Gokhan

Hi Donald,
    I've read your PM. I'm sorry, I couldn't manage, didn't know actually how to open a new thread. Thanks for your correction and comment.
    Regards
    Gokhan

Real Name
    Gokhan

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMiller View Post
    Hi Gokhan,

I like the first one best as well. You get the sense of the gulls wheeling around you. A little more contrast and saturation (but not too much - you want to retain the mistiness of the buildings on the shoreline) would give it more impact.

- Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for C&Cs first of all. As far as contrast and saturation in the first photo is concerned is it possible to manage them without post-processing, is it possible to get the same result as in the post-processing by using a filter?(a GND maybe)...
    ..and another question; what about focusing on the seagulls foreground and freeze them wiht a faster shutter speed?
    Cheers
    Gokhan

Real Name
    Gokhan

Hi Richard,
    I will be glad to see and meet you in Istanbul with all my hospitality. It's like an open air museum and one of the best options for photographers and actually for all people focusing on a variety of branches of arts. I'll try to do my best in posting photos of this beautiful city and off course your C&Cs are crucial in order to improve my photography. I would also like to see images from California, which I'd love to see in the US the most.
    Cheers
    Gokhan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Gokhan Oruc View Post
    Hi Donald,
    I've read your PM. I'm sorry, I couldn't manage, didn't know actually how to open a new thread. Thanks for your correction and comment.
    Regards
    Gokhan

To start a new thread, go to the section in which you would like to post; e.g. Forum/Photo Commentary & Competitions/Nature & Architecture. Towards the top left you will see a button '+ Post New Thread' Just hit that and you should be able to start a thread.

That is a very difficult scene to get correct, Gokhan.

Apart from the exposure problems which are bound to produce dark birds, you often have to decide which is the main subject, the birds or the background. And getting the birds to look sharp needs a high shutter speed which can make the background turn dark.

It is mostly just a case of compromise. Until recently, I was a UK fisherman and often struggled with shots like this. With a very high discard ratio.

My only suggestions are to focus on the gulls, but ideally, pick an area/time with only a few birds which will reduce the out of focus problems. You will probably require a rather high ISO setting to allow for the shutter speed and aperture.

Depending on your camera, using the AI servo focus may make it easier for you to 'lock on' to a group of suitable birds. I usually found that the auto camera settings were useless and generally preferred to use the semi automatic Tv control although Av can work providing you also watch out for the shutter speed.

The first and third photos are almost correct. When you do eventually get everything to 'come together' you will obtain some really stunning photos.

Real Name
    Gokhan

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks fot the C&Cs. I think focusing seagulls in a separate work will bring about much more tangible results.
    I use a Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens by the way.
    Cheers