Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Weathered

Real Name
    Mario

Weather

I took this photo tonight after work. There was a lot of wind from a storm on the way so it made it really hard to keep steady. It took several failed attempts.

C&C much appreciated.

Heavily cropped
    Weathered
    Last edited by Mario Xavier; 1st March 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Weathered

That is nice. You've handled quite a complex ligthing set up very well. The only thing that's throwing me off a bit is rthe effect of, I think, the shape of the building. For me, there's soemthing about the perspective that interferes with the harmony. It looks as if the building and the kerb slope away quite significantly from the entrance on the right side as we look at it, whereas it doesn't do the same on the left-hand side (as we look at it). I suppose my eye is searching for more symmetry in the building.

Real Name
    Tim

OK, this time i like the puddles... But the steeple is a bit soft, probably because you had to open the aperture for the pic. If you used a tripod, maybe you could have taken a couple of shots, and put them together with different parts in focus. It is called "focus stacking", and you can read lots of threads about it.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That is nice. You've handled quite a complex ligthing set up very well. The only thing that's throwing me off a bit is rthe effect of, I think, the shape of the building. For me, there's soemthing about the perspective that interferes with the harmony. It looks as if the building and the kerb slope away quite significantly from the entrance on the right side as we look at it, whereas it doesn't do the same on the left-hand side (as we look at it). I suppose my eye is searching for more symmetry in the building.
    Here's the whole image. Think I should change the crop?

Weathered

Focus Stacking... must read. Thanks
    Last edited by Mario Xavier; 1st March 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Real Name
    Mario

The building does slope on both sides as it curves around. Its front bows outward as the top comes downward and around. It's like a tiara in shape. Do you think I should face the center of it square and center it or crop it according to the 2nd or 3rd columns on either side of the glass entrance?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Xavier View Post
    Do you think I should face the center of it square and center it
    Mario

I think that's the way I'd do it, but, of course, everyone's different. I'd go for symmetry. It's a very strong centre feature - the entrance area. And then with it baredered on each side with a mirror image; i.e. one looking the same as the other, I think would make it a more powerful image.

You just need to wait for the next storm to pass and then re-shoot it. At least you now know all the shooting information, all you need to do is concentrate on the composition.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mario

I think that's the way I'd do it, but, of course, everyone's different. I'd go for symmetry. It's a very strong centre feature - the entrance area. And then with it baredered on each side with a mirror image; i.e. one looking the same as the other, I think would make it a more powerful image.

You just need to wait for the next storm to pass and then re-shoot it. At least you now know all the shooting information, all you need to do is concentrate on the composition.
    Unfortunately, I think this type of architecture limits what Mario can do with this building. It would probably be better to concentrate on the background (clouds) rather than the structure.

Mario,

The key elements of this structure are the placement of the cross and archway. The floodlighting serves as a distraction to me.

Real Name
    Pops

I think the only way you are going to get true symmetry in that one is to get square with the entrance. That will then be a completely different picture from the one presented. Better? Worse? Dunno, yet.

Pops