Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dog II cc please

Real Name
    james

Dog II cc please

I really like this pic, so go ahead tell me everything wrong with it.lol. Cannon xs, 500 mm mirror lens, Shutter priority AE, TV 1/200, Iso 400, WB cloudy.Dog II  cc please

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Dog II cc please

Hi James,

It’s hard to comment when you open with such a strong statement but here goes.

I do like the framing and eye contact. I would like to know what Focus Mode and Focus Area settings you are using. It looks like you still have the factory default setting which focuses on ‘the closest-to-camera-subject-priority’. With a 500mm lens (you did not mention the aperture value and the EXIF data says f/0, so I am not sure what setting you had) the DOF will be very shallow and with the anticipated focus mode choosing the closest object to focus on (the dogs nose) then this is what is sharp whereas the eyes need to be sharp in a portrait shot like this.

If you still have the factory setting for your focus mode then try changing the Mode to Single Servo and Focus Area to Single Point. This way you control where you point the camera and what part of the scene you want in focus.

Real Name
    james

I was just jokin Peter , actually I find your comments and recommendations very insightful and always most welcome . I am very new to the art of photography ,I appreciate all critiques. the lens I am using is a 500 mm Rokinon mirror lens 1:6.3 dx It is a manual focus lens, I would like an auto focus lens that would allow me the distance as I really like trying to capture wildlife. Its just so confusing when I look at all the choices available.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi James, my comment was tongue-in-cheek as well. Like your other bird shot 1/200th of second is too slow for a 500mm lens unless on a tirpod. Try at least 1/500 or better still 1/100 of sec to avoid camera shake. Manual focus on a moing subject with such a shallow DOF is going to be difficult but one thing for sure is you are going to learn a lot trying.

I am not familiar with that particular make of lens, James, but I suspect that for this type of shot you will need to start saving for a different lens. And unless you go for one of the fixed length (prime) lenses I think you will be looking for something around the £200 to £300 price tag for a reasonable zoom. (what is that in dollars, $300 plus?)

A prime lens, say 50 mm, will get you a reasonable quality lens for a more reasonable price but you lose the zoom function. But providing you are able to move around to obtain the best position it is something which is worth considering.