Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Real Name
    james

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

I shot this usinYellow-bellied Sapsuckerg a cannon xs and a 500 mm mirror lens. shutter-priority AE 1/80 iso 400

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hi James,

Did you use a tripod. 1/80th of second shutter speed is too slow the hand hold and get a sharp image. Nothing is really sharp in this image.

Real Name
    james

Yes Peter I used a new manfrotto 055xprob with a manfrotto pistal grip ball head and a remote switch. All my pics seem too soft, I dont know if it is my inexperience or my equipment or a combination of both, camera body is a cannon xs, lens is rokinon 500 mm mirror, 1:6.3 Do I just need to buy a better lens. help ...

Real Name
    Peter

Hi James,

I recently upgraded my Nikon D70 for a D300 and used my 70 - 300 Nikor lens on both. On the D70 it will autofcous no problems. On the D300 the autofocus is out dramatically. I cannot even manually focus with it. I do have a focus test sheet (if you want to send me a PM I will email it to you) or you can Google such on the net and download one (there are many options) and check you focus. I suggest you try this before investing in new gear. Having said that I finished up having to buy a new 70 - 300m lens for the D300. The old one still works perfectly well on the D70.

Real Name
    james

Just a little update Peter. I found a little knob by my eye cup, adjusted it a little and it really seems to have helped my focus. Does that seem plausible?

Real Name
    Chris

Yes...indeed. It is called a diopter and if you wear glasses it is essentially the same thing the optometrist uses to fine tune your prescirption. If you don't wear glass or use contacts, then it is most definitely time to schdule an appointment. This is the one thing I most often discover with students: who's been to an eye doctor and who needs to attend.

Real Name
    Peter

It's stange James I was thinking this over the weekend - don't ask me why it came into my mind. As you are focusing manually it will make a big difference. As MiniChris (is that like MiniMe, Chris) says it acts like perscription glasses. Let's see how you go now.

Real Name
    Tim

I had nearly given up on my camera until I found that knob. Wearing my glasses while shooting was just not working.

Real Name
    Chris

(is that like MiniMe, Chris)

No no...it is me, ChrisC now MiniChris; Chris C and Minime are completely different people...well, I think they are, because they sure aren't me....well, at least I don't think they are....are they?

Real Name
    Cheri

I wear glasses and so does my sister, after I showed her how to adjust her eye piece, her pictures are great. With birds I focus on the birds eye to get a sharp picture which gives the birds eye a glint and makes for a very good picture. I also use auto focus because I do wear glasses and manual focus does not seem to work for me.

Real Name
    james

Thanks all I am very excited about getting out to shoot some more.I will post some pics in next couple days .