Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: vacation in tropics, do you bring it?

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

vacation in tropics, do you bring it?

Hi, I will be travelling to the tropics ( planes, hot weather and sand ) and afraid to bring my nice camera. Just wounder what the majority of you is doing while vacationing ???

where I go, there's a protected wild life habitat and the beaches are really nice, would like to bring my new nice camera but afraid to break it in planes ( security), thief, and sand, weather, etc...

what do you do when travelling?

Real Name
    Paul

Re: vacation in tropics, do you bring it?

The natural elements have to be braved everywhere. As for the plane, I will always carry on. I myself would not go without it. I know I would then spend my wonderful vacation full of regret.

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Yeah, I am sure I will regret if I don't bring it...I was just debatating between my nice one and my point and shoot one...but there's a safe in room so should be OK...hopefully! Thanks Paul!

what do you do when travelling?
    Insurance? Why did you buy the camera if not to record this sort of trip

Take a rocket blower and a single travel zoom and you be fine.

Real Name
    Richard

I take two DSLR cameras and two lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS everywhere I go. However, Iif I am actually going to play on the beach, I will bring an old P&S camera. I would like to get a nice waterproof/resistant P&S for those times but, that is in the future.

However, if you can find a used underwater housing like this ( http://cgi.ebay.com/EWA-Marine-U-AX-...item230e50453c ) to fit your DSLR camera/lens, that would also be a good wy to go.

Real Name
    John

You'll probably go to the beach multiple times and you can take one of those days to just relax like a tourist but if an opportunity arises the point and shoot will save the day for most shooting situations. For night visits, you will surely want to take your DSLR.

Real Name
    Elise

I just got back from Mexico, and I took my 40D and 50mm lens and am very happy with the shots I got. I took a purse that was large enough to stow my camera in and took it everywhere with me, though I didn't go to the beach. I did change my red-stripe strap (the one that says "expensive camera") to a plain strap. It's no problem getting through security, but be sure to carry it on the plane with you, not in your luggage.

Real Name
    Pops

It would depend entirely on the reason for the trip and with whom I was tripping. If it is specifically for the opportunity to get pictures of an exotic location, I'd certainly carry. If I was travelling with ... well, you get the drift.

Pops

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    It would depend entirely on the reason for the trip and with whom I was tripping. If it is specifically for the opportunity to get pictures of an exotic location, I'd certainly carry. If I was travelling with ... well, you get the drift.

Pops
    Which is why I felt multiple trips to the beach were in order. It can't be very exciting for your companion if you have your nose stuck behind a viewfinder for the entire trip.

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Thanks all!! Leaving tonight( sunday)....and I'll bring it as well as my point and shoot....thanks for all the tips....I like the big purse one !! Thanks!

Real Name
    Bob R

I take my cameras everywhere. I have been and I'm sure you have also, in a situation where I and others say dang, if only i had my camera. That shot will stick with me for a long time. at least it is always within arms length, well somewhat within arms length. I can have it in less than a minute or two. I have left it in my car or even a rental car. But once I get it out, I keep it with me. I do have a bag I can put it in and I carry a sealed bag as well. I getting too old to let that one picture get away.

So that being said, I wonder if it was taken or left at home Opps, got the answer already.

Real Name
    Richard

It depends on how important the imagery is to you and how important the quality of the imagery is to you (not necessarily the same thing). My daughter shot an entire French Riviera vacation with a "key chain camera" she purchased from a supermarket check out stand. The imagery was horrible but suited her needs just fine.

However, you can now get pretty darn nice imagery from a mid-range point and shoot camera. If I were expecting to do a lot of traveling and wanted the lightest and smallest possible kit. I would look into a camera like the Panasonic Lumix. I saw an older Lumix G1 with a 14-45mm and a 45-200mm lens go on eBay for around five hundred dollars.

Real Name
    Mario

I would definitely take it. No hesitation.

Real Name
    Raf

i most definitely would. thinking back, it was probably the first ever visit to my motherland (philippines) that got me interested in photography.
    now, even if im just running errands, id bring the camera along.
    this summer, im going to a 3 day camping style rave, (yes not exactly a vacation, but almost the same risk...maybe even more)
    and i definitely have the camera as a priority in the checklist.