Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wales #2

rob marshall

Wales #2

It can only get worse...

If you missed Wales #1 (you didn't miss much) - it's Wales

If you want a slideshow of all the shots to date (you could play them all when you are feeling cheerful but want to get depressed) try this. Have a stiff drink first.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...08674531/show/

Here are the latest... all shot with Panasonic G1.

Wales #2

Wales #2

Wales #2

Wales #2

Wales #2

Wales #2

Re: Wales #2

Rob the first 6 in the slide show look low res. The rest look fine though. It is a great flick through life though. I don't know whether its just me but these kind of images, particularly in b/w, hold my attention far more than exotic locations and technicolor sunsets. I think it is because we are looking into real lives without the distraction of the people (if you get my meaning). Great work

My husband suggested, when I was trying to pick a theme for the themed comp., that "as is" would be good. This is only one view of what is, though. Doesn't it depend on which direction you look?

They (the photos) feel empty because there are no people in them. I don't know what that means. Where is everybody? That could change things one way or the other - make it worse or better - it depends on the moment, doesn't it?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    They (the photos) feel empty because there are no people in them. I don't know what that means. Where is everybody? That could change things one way or the other - make it worse or better - it depends on the moment, doesn't it?
    Katy

I'm deliberately shooting them without people in the scenes. The presence of people might be distracting. I want to show, and give emphasis to the things that are in Wales. My intention is that by isolating the subject to the thing itself makes you concentrate more on what it is, and why it's there. A lot of it is ordinary mundane stuff, but have you never stopped and looked at something and said to yourself "What, exactly, is that for?" That's why I thought they would be better in B&W. Colour can also be a distraction.

You think I'm mad, don't you?

I just remembered. I am in the buying booze shot Buying booze I'm reflected in the window. Long coat and standing in front of the car.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 25th February 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Well ...................!

I think the absence of people ... and colour ... allows us/requires us to focus our attention on the aesthetics (and boy are they in need of focusing upon!). The best compliment I can think for them is that they are horrible, cold , stark documentaries. Wonderful.

Katy

I'm deliberately shooting them without people in the scenes. The presence of people might be distracting. I want to show, and give emphasis to the things that are in Wales. My intention is that by isolating the subject to the thing itself makes you concentrate more on what it is, and why it's there. A lot of it is ordinary mundane stuff, but have you never stopped and looked at something and said to yourself "What, exactly, is that for?" That's why I thought they would be better in B&W. Colour can also be a distraction.
    er, yes! I ask myself this question, every day!

Actually, I've just been thinking about exactly that because I've been reading about Lilo Raymond's work - except her focus and commentary is 'opposite'.

"Her work... fucuses mostly on still lifes, inanimate objects and interiors. While other photographers (Edward Weston, for instance) have captured the glossy beauty of a seashell or a pear, Lilo Raymond's pictures are less chilly, less polished- and more haunting. She makes the most ordinary things seem to have a soul, some secret gossamer life. When she depicts a nightgown or shopping bags, for example, we can almost imagine these objects getting up and moving the minute we humans have left the room."

I thought that this is absolutely fascinating and really wanted to share it!

Soooo, maybe, yours don't depict a gossamer life (ahem) but the things in the photos do have a lot of character. In other words, they speak - especially with your great captions. So, you're successful!

Yes! I thought that you were completely going 'round the bend. I'll race you there!

I just remembered. I am in the buying booze shot Buying booze I'm reflected in the window. Long coat and standing in front of the car.
    Oh, now, that's curious because, afterwards, I had wondered how you took that without being in it. I'm glad that you pointed that out.

Real Name
    Debbie

I find them inspirational because you have shown (1) There is always something to shoot, you just have to push yourself to "see it", look at the ordinary stuff you see everyday and find the unique, the lines, the contrast, the forms etc. And (2) The picture isn't always ruined because there is a fence in the way - love that one. Who needs a bath?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    I find them inspirational because you have shown (1) There is always something to shoot, you just have to push yourself to "see it", look at the ordinary stuff you see everyday and find the unique, the lines, the contrast, the forms etc. And (2) The picture isn't always ruined because there is a fence in the way - love that one. Who needs a bath?
    Just before I took these (yesterday) we had been on a bus travelling to the opposite end of our walk so we could do a 'one-way' walk down the coast path. On the bus we met an old man, very intelligent and musical, who had recently gone blind. It was very sad - we helped him off the bus and took him home as he was still not fully adapted to his condition. It made me wonder for the rest of the day just how important it is 'to see', both physically, and in the 'inner' way.

Real Name
    Steve

The first shows ambition; of an idiot that would think variety, chips with beans, chips with peas, chips with curry. Forgetting know one is going to turn up anyway.

The last is great but could be anywhere; if you don't include a landmark it becomes a point of view.

But as usual eminently taken.

Real Name
    Debbie

Just before I took these (yesterday) we had been on a bus travelling to the opposite end of our walk so we could do a 'one-way' walk down the coast path. On the bus we met an old man, very intelligent and musical, who had recently gone blind. It was very sad - we helped him off the bus and took him home as he was still not fully adapted to his condition. It made me wonder for the rest of the day just how important it is 'to see', both physically, and in the 'inner' way.
    Ahhh. Well then, it seems very appropriate to celebrate the plain and ordinary. Things that, for those of us with effective eye sight, can see and take for granted.

Real Name
    Wendy

Outstanding. I don't find them cold and stark at all (sorry Donald, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you) #1 and 2 I find humourous, the first one because of the pallet (skid) leaned up against the wall, don't ask, I don't know why I find that funny, just incongruous I guess, or maybe I have visions of an oversized snack served up on a pallet and delivered on a lift truck; or supplies being delivered via transport and lift while one is trying to eat, don't know, it's just funny that's all.
    Number 2 is humourous due to the lack of people. Looks like the break buzzer went and everyone took off. Very typical. Nice that the driver locked the lift in the up position though so the car didn't fall down.
    What is with that life preserver in #3. Are they near the water or maybe just a souvenir from a trip or something.
    I absolutely love #4 The Welsh Spaceship. I don't know what it is, but the way the shot is composed and the tones and textures in the mountains and sky and especially the grass and spaceship.... I'd hang it on my wall.
    I think I know what you are getting at with Welsh Real Estate, but it's too vague, if it didn't have a title the shot would not mean anything to me or set me thinking about anything at all.
    I like what you've done with Welsh Concern for the Environment, another great shot, and would like to see more of the same with even more alarming or toxic trash, but that's just me. I'm always taking the same kind of shots, but mine just look like junk, whereas, this one and Donald's recent "Bonnie Scotland" look good and make a statement at the same time.
    Even though the thread title is "Wales 2" I think these shots are universal. I find them very appealing and actually when it comes right down to it, shots like this can be very useful and give some kind of meaning to spending time on this hobby in the first place. But now I'm rambling so enough already.

Wendy

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Outstanding. I don't find them cold and stark at all (sorry Donald, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you) #1 and 2 I find humourous, the first one because of the pallet (skid) leaned up against the wall, don't ask, I don't know why I find that funny, just incongruous I guess, or maybe I have visions of an oversized snack served up on a pallet and delivered on a lift truck; or supplies being delivered via transport and lift while one is trying to eat, don't know, it's just funny that's all.
    Number 2 is humourous due to the lack of people. Looks like the break buzzer went and everyone took off. Very typical. Nice that the driver locked the lift in the up position though so the car didn't fall down.
    What is with that life preserver in #3. Are they near the water or maybe just a souvenir from a trip or something.
    I absolutely love #4 The Welsh Spaceship. I don't know what it is, but the way the shot is composed and the tones and textures in the mountains and sky and especially the grass and spaceship.... I'd hang it on my wall.
    I think I know what you are getting at with Welsh Real Estate, but it's too vague, if it didn't have a title the shot would not mean anything to me or set me thinking about anything at all.
    I like what you've done with Welsh Concern for the Environment, another great shot, and would like to see more of the same with even more alarming or toxic trash, but that's just me. I'm always taking the same kind of shots, but mine just look like junk, whereas, this one and Donald's recent "Bonnie Scotland" look good and make a statement at the same time.
    Even though the thread title is "Wales 2" I think these shots are universal. I find them very appealing and actually when it comes right down to it, shots like this can be very useful and give some kind of meaning to spending time on this hobby in the first place. But now I'm rambling so enough already.

Wendy
    Good reply, Wendy (seriously).

I think they were on a break in the car shot, which is just as well. Some nosey guy taking shots of their gararge probably would have got me a monkey-wrench in the wrong place.

The life-preserver house is just opposite the beach. So I guess we can excuse that one. Us Brits take nautical matters verys seriously!

The Welsh Space Ship is at a visitor center of a bird reserve. I think it's a combination of observation platform (very nice view) and modern sculpture.

The real-estate thing is just a common joke around here. The whole coast-line seems to be plastered with caravans. I don't know how they get past the planners.

I agree with you, they are, for the most part, universal.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

(sorry Donald, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you)
    Is that allowed under the rules?

Real Name
    Debbie

I'm always taking the same kind of shots, but mine just look like junk
    Mine as well